Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Well his deputy taking charge. Not sure about "gambling pool" but am sure they come from the same "genetic pool".

What's rich is that he is resigning because of the "attacks" on HIM?! So if no one would have called him out on all the things he did, he wouldn't have quit? Basically a robber is saying, i only stopped because the police didn't like it.

On a more fair note, IMO the EPA had some issues. If you pay a bunch of people 6-figures and tell them to do "their job" they WILL and come up with some regulations that make no sense. With Pruitt, the pendulum just swung to other extreme and some. Part of the "complete disenchantment" that got Trump elected.
  • @VF- Yes, something to what you say.

• He's only imitating his boss saying that....you know, because it's "so unfair" here in DC.

Well his deputy taking charge. Not sure about "gambling pool" but am sure they come from the same "genetic pool".

What's rich is that he is resigning because of the "attacks" on HIM?! So if no one would have called him out on all the things he did, he wouldn't have quit? Basically a robber is saying, i only stopped because the police didn't like it.

On a more fair note, IMO the EPA had some issues. If you pay a bunch of people 6-figures and tell them to do "their job" they WILL and come up with some regulations that make no sense. With Pruitt, the pendulum just swung to other extreme and some. Part of the "complete disenchantment" that got Trump elected.

• edited July 2018
    Good riddance! I'd offer him a tissue but no doubt he's already pilfered a years supply from his office. Hope he takes his deputy with him.

@VF - yes a little bit of little sense but then what's your Planet B? Humans are one of the few species that wantonly destroy and pollute that which they depend upon to sustain them. There's no sense in that.
  • edited July 2018
    As one who occasionally flies first-class, I’ll say it is indeed very nice: wider seats, extra leg room, smoother ride, earlier boarding / deplaning, proximity to restroom, free drinks, supurb service from airline (probably missed something here). Taking first-class at taxpayer expense “for security reasons”? Give me a break.

Who’s next? I’ll lay my money on Kelly. But Huckabee Sanders has to be on a short leash too.
  • edited July 2018
    Mark said:

Humans are one of the few species that wantonly destroy and pollute that which they depend upon to sustain them.

@Mark - Scientists call it “Intelligent life“.
  • @Mark I'm hardly in the "do away with the EPA" camp. However, I'm calling it like I see it. A certain amount of self-introspection is necessary on our part, or Trumps is going to be President till 2020. We can't keep re-doing/un-doing Pube vs Libe legislations - the pendulum I'm talking about is swinging at all of us and keeps hitting us senseless.
  • @VF

>> regulations that make no sense

example?
  • Scott Pruitt: Your Tax Dollars at Work:

24/7 security detail: $3,500,000

First-class air travel: $92,700

Morocco visit: $100,000

High-end SUV lease: $10,200

Soundproof phone booth: $42,729

Biometric locks: $5,657

Office bug sweep: $3,000

Total: $3,754,286
  • From The Wall Street Journal:

Ex-Coal and Energy Lobbyist Named Acting EPA Chief

And the WSJ goes out on a limb with this prediction:

"Andrew Wheeler’s elevation from deputy administrator isn’t likely to bring big policy changes"

Who woulda thought that might be the case? Here's a preview of the oncoming wonderfulness:

"The new acting administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency is a former coal and energy lobbyist who has expressed skepticism about the human impact on climate change."

“I have no doubt that Andy will continue on with our great and lasting EPA agenda,” Mr. Trump tweeted.
  • Howdy,

aaaaarrggh.

The entire issue with environmental regulations slowing economic growth is all BS and any clear thinking human being knows it. It might slow growth in one industry and increase it in another.

Accounting 101: count ALL the costs and benefits.

Mom 101: pick up after yourself and don't make a mess.

The polluters simply don't want to include the pollution costs of their operation on their balance sheets. They don't want to clean up the mess they make.

They want to claim that counting all those nasty costs will cause them to lay off workers. Yeppers, it probably will so long as they have to have the same level of profits . . . or perhaps, labor and capital will shift to an industry that does count all of its costs and is a more efficient utilization of scarce resources.

Here should be the acid test: do the math - run a cost/benefit analysis. I have never seen a decent environmental proposal that wasn't cost beneficial. Any proposal that is not cost beneficial IS silliness.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono

• @VF

>> regulations that make no sense

example?

Will take too long to explain any of them. They are after all regulations.
    Google for "drilling pollution rule". Now of course material you will find would have changed because Pruitt would have affected it, still you should find enough.

• (disclosure: I'm an independent voter, and voted for both D and R folks over the past 20 years. I vote the person, not the party.)

I don't see EPA policies changing or slowing down under this acting guy. And I'm okay with political appointees doing what they said they would do even if I disagree w/them. HOWEVER ... I am opposed to political appointees using their position for blatant personal gain while in office and trying to make themselves appear larger than life at the taxpayers expense, as Pruitt did with everything from his secret phone booths to tactical pants to the spending on his obscene security paranoia -- let alone retroactive purging of his official calendars, lobbying for corporete jobs/school admissions for his wife/family, and $50/night DC condo rents, etc. He is just dirty, period.

By extension, I am likewise opposed to those tarnishing the ideals that make (made?) this country great in the eyes of many around the world over the years by virtue of their PERSON. To wit: I am no Pence fan - in some ways he's worse than his boss, Tweety Amin - but at least he wouldn't be tweeting every hour, issuing crass/derogatory comments/nicknames to everyone, concocting false statements and lies as 'facts' as the basis for speeches and policies, and/or generally making a public arse of himself like his boss does every day. In that regard, while people may disagree w/Pence on policy items (which is fine) at least on a PERSONAL level I suspect he'd be a mite better for the country and world in terms of a more even-handed public presentation.

Okay, that's my political contribution for the day. Knock yourselves out, folks..... :)
  • This was from wayyyy back in March, but I imagine the gambling pool has changed since then:
    https://vox.com/2018/3/28/17131870/trumps-cabinet-carson-sessions-firing-rumors