Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Tell: (Caution!) Morgan Stanley warns prepare for the biggest stock market selloff in months!!!

edited July 2018 in Off-Topic
Morgan Stanley thinks there could be another big stock market selloff coming and states their reasons in the below linked article. Those heavy in technology, consumer discretionary and small caps will be effected the most.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/prepare-for-the-biggest-stock-market-selloff-in-months-morgan-stanley-warns-2018-07-30?siteid=rss&rss=1

Although I am not heavy in tech, discretionary and small caps by having a well diversified portfolio I do have exposure to them. Perhaps, there will be a rotation from these leading sectors into some other sectors and the Index's valuation will not drop as much as some believe. I'm thinking with the outlook for continued strong earnings there will be sector rotations over a big sell off; however, valuations could decline before a foothold is reached. In addition, I'm seeing the possibility of some rough market conditions as we approach midterm elections. So, yes indeed, another pullback is (I think) in the making. After the elections I'm also thinking the market turns upward. From my perspective the stock market in general is fully valued and with the above stated headwinds approaching why not expect a pullback. So, with this, in the nearterm I continue to build cash as my mutual funds make disburesment. Over the next three months this should raise my cash allocation by a good percentage point or better if I trim some positions.

Linked below is what Zero Hedge writes on the above.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-07-30/morgan-stanley-selling-has-just-begun-correction-will-be-biggest-february?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+zerohedge/feed+(zero+hedge+-+on+a+long+enough+timeline,+the+survival+rate+for+everyone+drops+to+zero)

Interestingly, they point out that the three best performing sectors since June 18th have been the traditional defensive sectors of utilities, health care and staples followed by telecom, real estate and financials. Since, I am currently overweight in these sectors (and I have an all weather asset allocation) I'm going to just sit and watch the market (and sector movement) before I do any trimming as I am underweight tech and discretionary.

Perhaps some of our more seasoned and master investors will make comment regarding Morgan Stanley's call; and, what currently they may be doing themselves.

Have a great day ... and, I wish all "Good Investing."

Old_Skeet

Comments

• edited July 2018
    Hasn't someone said this each year for at least the past 5 years? I hope the one person who is proven right, which is bound to happens some time, does not end up becoming a celebrity.

Just in case I've noted this date. If nothing happens in one year, I will try and be the first to predict market correction.

I'm still waiting for inverted yield curve (sic) to take effect.

Sit and watch - great policy. I just keep taking profits and buying same funds again and again and again. Keeps me sane.
  • beebee
    edited July 2018
    Earnings drive valuation. Pull backs should be good buying opportunities for long term investors.

Investors should periodically reallocate gains:
    If your "cow" is full of milk...milk your cow. Milk can feed you (be used as income) or it can be used to make dairy products (be used to buy other assets).
    While equity markets have been spooked by geopolitical events, interest rates, trade war concerns, and fears of an overheating economy at various times this year, the single most important factor in equity market valuation - earnings data - suggests continued fundamental strength. For investors questioning if the bull market can continue for the next several years, or whether now is a good time to initiate new equity positions, the underlying trend in earnings growth suggests the answer is yes. In the below chart, we plotted the relationship between the historical S&P prices and the reported TTM earnings. The bars in purple reflect earnings estimates, using analysts' projections through 2019 and then applying a 2% quarterly growth rate, approx. 8% annual earnings growth, in 2020. It is apparent that barring some major unforeseen event, equity markets are likely to continue their ascent thanks to the recent explosive earnings growth.

Link:
    earnings-and-stock-market-valuations
  • edited July 2018

Hasn't someone said this each year for at least the past 5 years?

Yes. His name is John Hussman. He’s been saying this every year since July 24, 2000. He’s backed up the claim with a +0.50 annualized return since than. (HSGFX).

I don’t mind people keep saying this. I do object that the *#@#! article says nothing about what “preparations” you’re supposed to take. From the photo, I’m left with the impression I need to find an umbrella. Would that work?
  • @Old_Skeet: "more seasoned and master investors"? Surely you jest in your modesty?
  • edited August 2018
    @BenWP,

Q: "Surely you jest in modesty?" A: Perhaps so ... Perhaps not.

I was thinking this post would draw a fire storm of comments. Anyway, the post is what it is and that is a call by a major brokerage house that much alines itself with that of my own. Perhaps, others that are on the board and are what I consider "seasoned and master investors" don't wish to make know their call (or positioning) known (for fear of a wrong call discrediting them). And, that is ok. However, I'm one that will share and post my thinking.

Hey ... Old_Skeet is positioned for some sector rotation along with running an all weater asset allocation I'm ready should the "called" storm to present itself ... and, well if dosen't ... then, I'm also positioned to take advange of some more upside. Now, that is having it both ways.

My most recent July barometer reports contains "my call" and is linked below.

"Now that we are again approaching all time highs for the Index I'm thinking that once we get through earning season the Index will perhaps pullback and thus present a better buying opportunity as we move into early fall; and, then turn upward after midterm elections. Anyway, this is how I am planning to play it. I'll let my equity weighting matrix assist me with my call as how to position the equity allocation within my portfolio along with a seasonal trend investment theory."

https://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/42056/old-skeet-s-market-barometer-and-report-june-july-recaps#latest

I sincerely wish all ... "Good Investing."

Old_Skeet

• If there's a seasoned investor on the board, it is you. I appreciate your perspective.

My sense is that the market could drop on a "political" development rather than a "economic" or fundamental swing. Such a drop could be ugly and of indeterminate length because the uncertainty unleashed by such an event will test the will of the Republic. BTW, I have no qualifications for making such a prognostication.
  • edited August 2018
    Agree with BenWP - But he said it better than I could.
    Old_Skeet said:

I was thinking this post would draw a fire storm of comments.

Old Skeet,

Perhaps in earlier times it would have. But it appears now that the markets have finally attained Irving Fisher’s permanently high plateau. (nearly 100 years late).

From another recent thread, it appears that old codgers who actually look at their portfolios may be a dying breed. For today’s investors the modus operandi seems to be petal to the metal / balls to the wall all the time.

What could possibly go wrong?:)
  • edited August 2018
    Hi guys, thanks for making comment. I can see that your answers center around the science found in investing; but, what about the element of art? Does it not factor in as well? My positioning has as much that centers around science as it does art. When combined into a call becomes a craft so to speak. And, that is my point we have started to look to much towards science in investing and have started to discount the art side of investing. Anyway, "What could possibly go wrong?" is handled from right side brain thinking and falls under art thinking vs science thinking centering around left side brain thinking.

For me, Morgan Stanley's call was derived from science as well as art and when formulated formed their call uing their craft while bee's graph posting centers around only science.
  • edited August 2018
    Old_Skeet said:

Hi guys, thaks for making comment. I can see that your answers center around the science found in investing; but, what about the element of art?

Art I suspect may have a variety of definitions. However, as your question suggests, it is most often seen as something opposite science. To me art emphasizes aesthetic value - something pleasing to the senses (for example, a home designed by Frank Lloyd Wright or a painting by Norman Rockwell).

Other than the fact that I can draw a very attractive (even colorful) pie-chart, scoping out the various elements of an all-weather portfolio (or any other type) I do not consider investing to involve art - as I understand the word. So I think that what you’re really talking about Old Skeet is intuition.

Intuition may be defined as:

(1) direct perception of truth, fact, etc., independent of any reasoning process; immediate apprehension.

(2). a fact, truth, etc., perceived in this way. a keen and quick insight.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/intuition

Great investors have the ability to qiickly size up a situation and take appropriate actions without having to seemingly grind through all the complex evidentiary / reasoning steps most employ. This likely involves their ability to assimilate similar patterns they have studied or witnessed in the past and than to apply them to the current situation. But to them the process appears much quicker - a type of unconscious reasoning / decision making - if you will. And yes, this intuitive ability is often taken as art. I don’t think it really is.

Regards
  • "I have no qualifications for making such a prognostication"

@BenWP: Yes, you certainly do.. as do all of us. Just read any decent newspaper, and you're qualified.
  • @Old_Joe: I plead guilty to reading two papers without comics daily as well as a bunch of other stuff that would not pass muster with those who attend the rallies we all see and read about. My mother got me started on the Times when it really was the gray lady.