Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Americans Expect To Get Their News From Social Media, But They Don’t Expect It To Be Accurate

FYI: Lots of news on social media? Yep. Lots of accurate news on social media? Nope: That’s the mindset of the typical U.S. news consumer in 2018, according to a new Pew Research Center report on news use on social media platforms.

Around two-thirds of U.S. adults say they get news from social media. (That figure is just about flat compared with 2017.) But 57 percent say they expect the news on social media to be “largely inaccurate.” (Pew interviewed 4,581 U.S. adults.)
Regards,
Ted
http://www.niemanlab.org/2018/09/americans-expect-to-get-their-news-from-social-media-but-they-dont-expect-it-to-be-accurate/

Pew Research Study:
http://www.journalism.org/2018/09/10/news-use-across-social-media-platforms-2018/

Comments

• Two-thirds!!!??? From social media!!!??? Wow.

I believe it but that's just crazy. No wonder we have issues.
  • You've got to wonder why, if 57% "expect the news to be largely inaccurate", they would even bother to look at the stuff.
  • edited September 2018
    Mark said:

Two-thirds!!!??? From social media!!!??? Wow.
    I believe it but that's just crazy. No wonder we have issues.

You need to get out and rub elbows with the average low-wage, non-union, lower education, non-professional, common working (or retired) stiff (many subsiding hand-mouth). Don’t ask me why so many shun the established professional news establishment, but I can tell you that near-100% reliance on social media for information (ie Facebook) is quite common. Beyond crazy.

Just a guess - might have to do with declining attention spans.
  • Not in our household including our teenage kids. We taught them to do their diligence and find the original sources if all possible. Even then it is not easy to cover different aspects of the entire stories.

It is sad to find our society is getting lazy and easily manipulated by inaccurate contents in social media.
  • By 'social media' they referenced sites like Facebook, YouTube, Twitter et.al. as I expected. I noted 'no surprise' because even at 'social' gatherings such as dining, concerts, entertainment events etc., etc., peoples faces are usually glued to their phone screens rather than other individuals around them. More than anything I guess I bemoan the loss of things like newspapers and magazines (Time, US News, Newsweek etc.) as sources of information that folks would use for discussion rather than the social media sites. We're taking dumb to a whole new level.
  • @Mark- You've called it correctly! +1
  • Well, I have to agree with this. Now days, social media plays a major role in lives of people. I have seen many people opting for good SEO and Adwords Campaign Management for promoting their business blogs, websites, and enterprises online and on social media. It was wonderful coming across this informative post.