Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Have you hugged a Native American today? A New MFOer's Inagural Posting.

COLUMBUS DAY IS OUT .... NATIVE AMERICAN DAY IS IN

Sometimes a contrarian view is just the right thing and the right inclusive view to hold ... except if you are the white nationalist President Trump. Charles and other Italian Americans ... I am not trying to slight Italian Americans.

The markets in the U.S. are closed today and it's an opportune time to go out and hug a Native American, aka as
the First Americans in Canada. Their markets were mainly in commodities such as corn and they likely did not have a CFA advising them.

I practice what I preach and hugged a Native American today right when I woke up.

My wife's maternal Huilliche ancestors are from Southern Chile (South America) and migrated to Southern Chile in a lengthy migration along the Pacific Coasts of North America - Central America - South America. This migration w took over 12,000 to 14,000 years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huilliche_people

Her maternal Native American ancestors crossed the land bridge from Russia over the Bearing Straight into Alaska. This was long before Europeans such as Columbus discovered America.

Read more at: https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/08/us/columbus-day-vs-indigenous-peoples-day/index.html

CNN: By now, you probably know Christopher Columbus didn't discover America. He wasn't even the first European to do it.

Somehow, the 15th-century Italian explorer still got his own national holiday. But more cities and states are scrapping Columbus Day to honor the people who were here first -- and who suffered greatly after Columbus' arrival.
Just this year, at least a dozen US cities -- including San Francisco and Cincinnati -- decided to stop observing Columbus Day and will instead celebrate Indigenous Peoples Day on Monday.

For Joe Curtatone, the mayor of Somerville, Massachusetts, the decision was easy. "Columbus Day is a relic of an outdated and oversimplified version of history," the mayor wrote when announcing the decision last month. "This issue is a lot like the Confederate flag for southerners. As an Italian-American it feels good that there is an official holiday that is nominally about us. We are proud of our heritage. Yet the specifics of this holiday run so deep into human suffering that we need to shift our pride elsewhere."

Comments

• @jonesge: Welcome to the MFO Discussion Board, however you are incorrect about the markets being closed. The stock market is open, the bond market is closed.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited October 2018
    https://www.kiplinger.com/article/investing/T038-C000-S001-is-the-stock-market-closed-on-columbus-day-2018.html

Ted, I exclusively trade in High Yield Corn Futures and wampum beads (symbol BEADS)... so nada for me today on Columbus Day and I prefer Native American Day.

See above link for what's open and closed on various U.S. holidays.
  • @MFO Members: I think we got ourselves a Troll !!!
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Welcome
  • Thanks for the post jonesge, but my own opinion is this kind of suggestion, to disavow Columbus Day, is what gives progressives a bad name (and I lean left myself). Why not fight for a "Native American Day" in it's own right. I actually think that would be a great idea. But don't take poor Chris's day away.

There is actually a whole list of people who came, pillaged and conquered, but good old Christopher really just opened the door.
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for your comment. Instead of using Black Friday to go shopping, would you observe Native American Heritage Day the Friday after Thanksgiving? Many of the markets close early that day.

Native American Heritage Day is a civil holiday observed on the day after Thanksgiving in the United States. President George W. Bush signed into law October 8, 2008 legislation introduced by Congressman Joe Baca (D), to designate the Friday after Thanksgiving as Native American Heritage Day.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_Heritage_Day

In addition to calling Thanksgiving the "National Day of Mourning," some Native Americans believe it is "poor taste" for Native American Heritage Day to be on Black Friday - "a day of excess and gluttony and greed and aggressive capitalism" - which itself "falls after a holiday that omits the murder and mutilation and the kidnap/enslaving of Native Americans [in which they] mourn the millions of indigenous Native American people who died as a result of aggressive settler colonialism."

By his "own" pen, C Columbus was the first kidnapper of Native Americans. See: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2018/06/15/the-journey-of-a-hijacked-christopher-columbus-letter-recounting-his-voyage-to-america/?utm_term=.7d5016ab9389&tid=a_inl_manual

For some Native Americans (progressive or non progressive ... R or D) Columbus Day ... falls into the same as "in poor taste".

So, Mike and other MFO brethern, Have you hugged a Native American today?

• MFO Members: Strongly suggest this new MFO Member shape up or ship out. Today is Columbus Day period !!!!
    Regards,
    Ted:(:(:(
  • jonesge said:

So, Mike and other MFO brethern, Have you hugged a Native American today?

Welcome, jonesge.

No, not today, but I will give my Cree friend a big hug, like we always do, when our book group meets at the end of the week.

My city's one of quite a few now that celebrate the 2nd Monday in October as Indigenous Peoples' Day, with a number of activities, talks, etc. through the week. The one I don't want to miss is a presentation of the Piikani Nation's plan for sustainable use of their reservation lands. (The Piikani are one of the nations of the Blackfoot Confederacy.)

Somewhat related: This past week marked the 50th anniversary of the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act, which has special meaning for me. A short film celebrating the act and the pulse of river protection and restoration it's spawned features a Nez Perce elder who says, speaking specifically of the Clearwater R. in his native Idaho, "A river's a life source, not a resource." We're going to need to adopt that kind of thinking if we're to avoid outstripping the Earth's ability to support its human and non-human populations.
  • AndyJ Thanks for your comment and sympathies for Native Americans on Indigenous Peoples' Day. Also remember there is the US civil holiday the day after Thanksgiving called Native American Heritage Day.

Ted I respectfully private messaged you and ask that you apologise for calling me a Troll. You refused to do so and continue to badger me for my views and opinions about Native American people.

So MFO Members ... you know now what type of racist - bigoted - crotched - senile old white man Ted is. If you don't 100% agree with him about this only being Columbus Day ... you get his vile bias wrath as he attempts to ridicule and victimize me and others. Can we get Ted a fake gold watch and ask him to retire off the MFO Board?
  • @MFO Members: How can our newly arrived member call me " racist - bigoted - crotched - senile old white man". Doesn't he/she know I'm a big fan of the
    1. Washington Redskins
    2. Cleveland Indians
    3. St. John's Redman (Red Storm)
    4. Golden State Warriors
    5. Marquette Warriors (Golden Eagles)
    6. Stanford Indians (Cardinal)
    7. Florida State Seminoles
    8. Chicago Blackhawks
    9. Miami RedHawks
    Regards,
    Ted :(:( :(
  • Well, I can go with crotched "crotchety", at least.
  • Thanks Old_Joe for the correction to "crotchety" for Racist Ted.
    I had sent a private message to Ted asking him to stop. He thinks he can victimize and bully me ... he won't.

Appears Racist Ted is also the biggest fan of himself when he is not bumbling around on the keyboard in the midst of massive brain farts.

BTW Ted ... my Native American uncle played for the Chicago Black Hawks and was the first Native American to carry in the American Flag in a Winter Olympics opening. He would body check you right out of the hockey arena because of you being you .... Crotchety Racist Ted with fake Native American sentiments. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taffy_Abel

Have you hugged a Native American today? Certainly Racist Ted has not.
  • Dear lord, people.

This discussion has been closed.