Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Thank you Investor- Be careful what charts you read...

beebee
edited November 2012 in Off-Topic
I was comparing PCRDX tonight using both Yahoo and Morningstar charts. Yahoo is a price chart only while M* charts divendend reinvested. They tell two different tales over the last 3 years.

Yahoo's charts detail a 17% loss in share price which is only half of the story. Since PCRDX pays a sizeable monthly divendend an investor would be happy to know that this same investment gained 30% over the same time period.
What gives? Well, it's all in the charts.

Yahoo is merely a price chart so when dividends are paid out the price chart is negatively impacted. Morningstar charts assumes an investor is reinvested their dividends and therfore owns more shares. M* chart constructs its mutual fund charts as if an investor made a $10,000 investment and displays its performance over time with dividend and capital gains included...yahoofinance is merely a chart displaying a mutual fund's share price.

Investor (haven't heard much from Investor as of late) pointed this out to me over numerous occassions and I finally "got it"...I hope others realize the difference between these two commonly used charts.

Below are two website's charts over the same 3 year timeframe...very different charts. Notice the dividend payouts in each.

Yahoofinance:

Vs. M*:

Comments

• Yes, this really demonstrates only total return matters. Some products such as closed-end funds offer high yields but come with very high price erosion and you could better on total return with something paying less dividend.
  • Reply to @Investor: Hey- nice to see that you are still with us- hope all is well with you and yours!
  • edited November 2012
    These charts only show two things: spending the dividends vs buying more of the same
    But what it doesn't show is what happens when you reinvest the dividends into a different investment which is, IMO, the key to successful investing and why total return really isn't all that matters (because price erosion might be worth it if you have a reliable stream of dividends that you can plug into the right investment).

Other thing is you need to be careful because not all of Morningstar's charts are correct...I'm aware of at least 1 CEF for which Morningstar's total return ("growth of $10,000") chart is missing the dividends.
  • beebee
    edited November 2012
    Reply to @BannedfromBogleheads:
    Hey BFB,

You bring up a separate issue which I totally agree with...diversification...especially where one investment's outperformance can be captured and reinvested into another that might be underperforming at the very same moment. Stocks and bonds used to work that way. A "pairing investment" I like with PCRDX is EDV, Vanguard's Extended Duration Treasury Index ETF.

Here's is a 3 year "ying and yang" of these two funds. If an investor could be disciplined to move profits (price appreciation or dividends) from one to the other a smoother ride could be achieved.

Here are the two charted over the last 3 year timeframe:
  • edited November 2012
    bee,

Only thing is IMO the diversification via actual cash dividend streams is much less ephemeral than diversification via price appreciation....reason being that prices are a function of other investors, how they behave, when they are liquid, etc whereas the cash flows of real business are what they are regardless of whether other investors are willing or able to act on it. Therefore, I always expect the "diversification" benefit of price appreciation to be traded away in the future whereas I expect a diversified basket of dividend streams to never be arbed away (even though it could be destroyed by other means).

That's not to say I don't also value capital appreciation, but I think it's misleading to lump it together with dividends as if a dollar of share appreciation were in every way equal to a dollar of dividends when they are each valuable in their own unique way. So ideally I always want two charts, a share price chart and a dividend price/distribution chart, and if you can't give me that then I'd rather have the share price chart alone so I can estimate the dividends separately than have it all convoluted and commingled into a single inscrutable "total return" chart.

Other thing is that if your portfolio includes very illiquid investments, which I seek out whenever possible, that only have buy/sell prices at a few isolated points in time then it's probably not possible to construct a total return chart...so any comparison or consideration of the diversification qualities you might want to make when dealing with such assets would have to be based on a dividend chart alone or a dividend chart plus a few isolated price points.
  • Reply to @BannedfromBogleheads:

Thanks BFB,

Your responses are very thoughtful...seem worthy of another more indepth thread...I was merely trying to point out that not all charts are created the same.

I would appreciate hearing more about what has worked for you investment wise especially, in the area of "creating a diversified basket of dividend streams".

Welcome to MFO.
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: I was busy at work. I still go through the posts but sometimes after a couple of days.
  • edited November 2012
    Reply to @Investor: "Some products such as closed-end funds". May i correct to "some closed-end funds"? There are many CEFs whose total return beat their open end competitors -- mostly due to the negligeble cost of leverage in the last 4 years... Not all CEFs are created equal, just like not mutual funds are.
  • Reply to @fundalarm: Yes, ma'am- I do believe that we will allow that.:-)