Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Stock Market Continues to Set New Record Highs

edited December 2018 in Off-Topic
What a difference a year makes ...

Comments

• edited December 2018
    @hank
    Somewhat related, is that POTUS tweeted in a most vague fashion that China agreed to new tariff agreements (G-20 meetings), plus further chit-chats.
    To the best of my knowledge, no official China announcement has verified the TWEET info.

More of the same round-about stuff, IMHO.
  • @MFO: Our resident Trump basher, and his cheerleader never let's us down.
    Regards,
    Ted:(
  • edited December 2018
    Howdy @Ted
    Tis only real information that has an impact upon what holds our interest here. I would perform the same service for any POTUS of any political affiliation. I do not discriminate regarding political actions; but do pay attention to those actions.
    Cranial-Rectal inversion does not discriminate, either.
    Not unlike your experiences during your long lifetime, we've seen, worked for and known arse holes from all walks of life. YES ??? They are everywhere.
  • @Ted, WTF? We’re not allowed to post video of the United States President speaking now?
    Please post a complete list of your MFO rules and regulations so that all of us can comply.

Bashing? How on earth is letting the man speak about the stock market considered “bashing”?

Thank you.
  • This year, the stock market recorded the four largest ever point drops in the DJIA: -1175.21 (Feb 5), -1032.89 (Feb 8), -831.83 (Oct 10), and today's close of -799.36.

"The stock market continues to shatter one record after another". Trump said it, and he was right. Give credit where credit is due.

• He can bully the Fed, but he can't bully the markets (though his lies "Tweets" can turn the tide for 1 trading session).
  • I believe I heard today's drop didn't even make the top 50 drops % wise.
    Derf
  • edited December 2018
    I posted the clip of eight different Trump statements about the stock market as a satirical commentary showing how quickly public perceptions about the markets can change. To wit, a number of frequent posters here have grown more cautious in recent months, some even selling large amounts of their investments.

Satire is unique in that it seeks to make a serious point through humor. In addition to demonstrating how dramatically markets and public perceptions can change (in almost a blink of the eye) there’s an underlying point here about those in positions of leadership who may choose to link their public stature and performance to something as fickle and unpredictable as the stock market. The cliche, “Live by the sword ... Die by the sword” comes to mind. Smarter public officials know this and usually avoid making a direct connection between their leadership skills and stock market averages.

@Ted likes to attack / name-call certain members (I’m a Trump Basher), but like an internet bully, he seldom follows-up the name calling by fully explaining the nature of his objection in any coherent fashion. The clip of eight Trump market rants consists of seven from 2018 and one from late 2017. I’d say that’s pretty timely. While there’s a slight amount of commentary accompanying the clips, 99% of what you get there is the President’s direct words spoken by him in public. I think the video appropriate for submission to the “Off-Topic” section of this board. Of course, no one needs to look at this post - or anything else.
  • @hank: "like an internet bully" is a bit too generous. He IS an internet bully.