Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Is Mairs & Power Growth Fund (MPGFX) a Strong Mutual Fund Pick Right Now?

https://m.nasdaq.com/article/is-mairs--power-growth-fund-mpgfx-a-strong-mutual-fund-pick-right-now-cm1064179

On the lookout for a Large Cap Blend fund? Starting with Mairs & Power Growth Fund (MPGFX) is one possibility. MPGFX holds a Zacks Mutual Fund Rank of 2 (Buy), which is based on nine forecasting factors like size, cost, and past performance.

Comments

• Decent fund imho, but I think growth has had its time in the sun in recent years .... I think value is slowly coming back into vogue and would be more inclined to look there.

But if you want a solid LCB fund? Check out PRBLX, which I hold in my Roth IRA.
  • MP is not a true or usual LCG, more LCB (M*) or MC core (Lipper), and moreover has had a strong regional bias (upper Midwest companies). It is not all that high-rated as it once was, but if you are going to hold it, it's unlikely you will go wrong.
  • That 'regional bias' has been a checkmark next to the fund for nearly it's entire existence. While the fund will rarely, if ever, shoot out the lights it won't leave you cringing in despair either. It's shareholders have been satisfied and amply rewarded for it's strong, steady returns over the years. You could certainly do worse.
  • I owned MAPOX, the sister-fund, until very recently. Quite satisfied. I knew about the Upper Midwest bias, but it did not really affect my estimation of its performance. I did notice it follows the Dow pretty straightforwardly. Did not see any or many days when the Indices were up but the fund was down.