Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Why does it take so long to receive consumer “incentive” rebates by mail?

edited December 2018 in Off-Topic
Purchased a set of four 17-inch rims with Michelin’s Ice & Snow tires for my new Honda from Tire Rack in mid-October. Total package was in the $1200-$1500 vicinity (with mounting and balancing). While they’re nice winter tires, the $70 “Michelin Consumer Rebate” did influence my decision to buy these over some other brands. I mailed the necessary paperwork Priority Mail (about $6) as soon as the tires arrived and well before the end of October. A third party does the actual rebate work but calls itself “The Michilin Tire Rebate Center.”

Than, ... It’s wait, wait, wait for that $70 Visa gift card to arrive - running the old pickup on empty, thinking its thirsty 30-gallon tank a good repository for the $70. Finally, November 30 they send me an email stating the rebate has been “approved” and I should receive it in the mail soon. Now, December 28, still no rebate. I call their toll free help-line today and am informed that: On December 20 the Rebate Center forwarded the rebate “paperwork” to their bank for “processing”. I should expect to receive the rebate gift card in another 3 weeks. That would be late January, putting the total time from tire purchase to actual receipt of rebate at about 3 months.

Somebody’s making money off of this scam practice. Who?

Comments

• Many years ago, I worked for one of those 3rd-party scam operations with an 800 phone number "help line." This was the era of VCR tapes sold via tv commercials. Richard Simmons workout videos, in this case. I worked for them for a total of 3 minutes while someone toured us around the room. Next, we were provided with the script we were supposed to use when people called in. The most frequent complaint when people called was that the expected 8-week wait (as per the fine print on the tv commercial) had passed. But still no workout tape! ....The required script instructed us to tell them: "please just wait a little longer." I wasn't there long enough to even receive my first complaint-call. Adios.
  • @hank: I'm guessing that's the last purchase from them !
    Derf
  • That is very poor business practice - bait and switch. Over the years I found Michelin tires over-priced for their performance. This year we are replaced the original Michelin touring tires on our Honda Odeyssee with Continential tires with the equivalent performance rating and a saving of $120.

• Probably the same reason it takes "4-6 weeks" to get one's name removed from an e-mail marketing list run by prominent companies. In 2018 I find that timeframe beyond laughable.
  • Michelin Hank, they got your money up front.
  • edited December 2018
    Hmmm ... It’s the second set of Michelin’s winter tire I’ve had and thought both were fine product. And TR would be a good choice even without the rebate.

Most of the brands (not all) TR was selling did have some type of rebate. I’m guessing the rebate centers are somehow earning a return on all these rebates and prolong getting them in the mail as long as possible. After 2 or 3 months many consumers may forget about the rebate and may toss the gift card in the trash - confusing it with junk mail when it eventually arrives. Another more sinister proposition - if you don’t call them and ask about it as I did today, perhaps they simply “forget” to mail it out.

Maybe I should be happy. With gas prices dropping 20% or more since the tire purchase, the $70 card will likely be “worth” more gallons of gas when it eventually arrives than it would have been couple months earlier. One never knows.:)
  • Menards runs it's 11% rebate often & I have found the rebate to be in my mail box within 2 weeks of sending in the rebate. Not all rebate offers are a pain in the butt.
    Derf
  • edited December 2018
    Great read @Mark. Thanks. Here’s just a couple snippets from your link:

"Between 40% and 60% of rebates are never redeemed," says Edgar Dworsky, founder and editor of ConsumerWorld.org. Many customers who are expecting a traditional paper check rebate in the mail may throw the debit card away, mistaking it for a pre-approved credit card offer.

If the rebate simply never arrives at all, the company is betting on the fact that you won't notice. "Sometimes the manufacturer delays paying the rebate fulfillment house, and the consumer simply forgets after eight weeks that they are even owed money,"

Add this all up and I’ll guess that “$70 rebate” is actually costing the company about $35 on average. The interest earned on the cold cash sitting in their hands for months may well cover their call center overhead. The toll free call-in center was obviously overseas - so costing little to operate.

Added 12/29:

Thanks to all who commented. To be clear, the rebate didn’t attract my business. I’ve been dealing with Tire Rack for about 8 years or longer. Have bought 3 or 4 sets of tires and two sets of rims over the years. Change out winter & summer tires myself at home. I’ve found TR highly reputable and very knowledgeable about which products fit your vehicle and which ones don’t. Never a problem. They do a terrific job balancing, mounting and getting the correct valve stem and/or TPS sensor installed. Arrives at your home by UPS in about 3 days.

If you live in the snow belt you recognize the need for good dedicated winter tires from around November 1 until sometime in April. A definite safety issue driving on icy or snow covered pavements. The standard “All season” tires have their uses in milder conditions, but don’t substitute for a good winter tire. And on that account, not all winter tires perform equally well in ice and snow.

So, going to Tire Rack in search of winter tires / rims for new car was pretty much a no-brainer. Having been very happy with the Michelin’s “Ice & Snow” on previous car, I’ll admit to being a bit partial to them. Wasn’t more than $200 difference between them and the next cheapest (or more expensive) set of 4. Nearly half of that $1200-$1500 tab I cited went towards a nice set of winter rims. This saves your summer rims from road salt damage during winter and saves $$ and wear and tear on the tires by not having to mount / dismount them to / from the rims every season.

The $70 rebate offer helped me decide which premium tire offered the best overall value - but I would have opted for a similarly priced tire anyhow. Was more curious about the business model - if any - and who the big players are. Some similarities to insurance companies - Deny or delay payouts as long as possible - keeping the cash invested and earning income.
  • I purchased a laptop direct from Lenovo in May 2016. I'm still waiting to receive my $35 mail in rebate!
  • I purchased a rebate item from Staples ages ago (possibly a ream of paper a year ago). Three weeks ago, USPS Informed Delivery shows me an image of a letter in transit from Staples marked "Abandoned Property Rebates".

After waiting so long for the rebate, you can guess what happened next. USPS lost the mail. So I expect the $5 check (or whatever it was) to show up in my state's abandoned property department in another 2-3 years.
  • @Simon: Your rebate should be coming as I purchased a Lenovo at the end of Nov. & with that profit your rebate should be coming. The old pyramid scam. When your rebate reaches the top you get one !!! (Probably not)
    Derf
  • @ hank: Do you purchase road hazard insurance on your tires ?
    Derf
  • edited December 2018
    Derf - Tire Rack provides free road hazard insurance on all their new tires. Good for 2 years after purchase (or until the tread is essentially used up). I did have one claim a couple years ago and can vouche the insurance works. Good support from TR and the insurance company that provides the coverage on their behalf. I forget all the fine print - but things like towing & labor not covered - just the tire. In my case they just requested that a certified mechanic or tire dealer phone them to confirm the nature of the tire failure. Did not need to return it,

*Deleted rant on our state’s roads. But will say that a good many here constitute a “hazard” in themselves.
  • edited January 2019
    Just to let you know - the $70 dollar rebate card arrived today. Whew - waited so could spend the whole wad on gas at one time. The truck, snowblower, and about everything else that runs on gas is on “empty.”
  • MFO comes through again! Next time post a complaint on Twitter. My son tells me that you'll get a response from the guilty party(ties) within hours if not sooner.
  • @hank : thanks for your reply on warranty. A good number of years past I had a problem with warranty on tires that cost $9.00 / tire. Tire company tried to tell me it was going to cost me about 70% of what I paid for the tire to replace. Think I finally pd $20 & from then on took my business elsewhere. Tires had 3-4k miles on them.
    Derf
  • edited January 2019
    I meant to say “thanks to all” for bringing your power to bear. Don’t mess with MFO.
    (Card was good. Money spent.):)
  • @derf: that Menard's "rebate" is just a store credit, isn't it? I've shopped there a couple of times and discovered the rebates were only good for more stuff at the store. Continue to shop there if you like, or not if you check on who funded Scott Walker's rise in WI.
  • BenWP: In store only. Scott is now history ! Did shop at Home Depot as a Vet. , but now to much B.S.. Wouldn't except my WI. drivers license with Vet notification on the license.

Good investing to all, Derf