Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Good News for Coast Guard Families. Collins Intervention Results in Their Being Paid

edited January 2019 in Off-Topic
Those of us along the Great Lakes are well aware of the bravery and sacrifice these men and women exhibit in their mission of saving the lives of those in peril at sea.

There were actually food drives going on here to help feed their families during the holidays because they weren't going to receive paychecks during the shutdown. Pretty pathetic that these American heroes and their families should become pawns in the squabble over the wall / or slatted fence / - or “metaphor for border security" - or whatever else they’re calling it now.

Collins Intervention: https://www.pressherald.com/2018/12/28/maine-coast-guard-crews-among-those-working-without-pay/

Graham reduces wall to “a metaphor” https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-wall-reduced-metaphor-lindsey-graham_us_5c295336e4b05c88b7018acf

Comments

• I agree with you hank and share your disgust. I'd like to see no shutdown nonsense but if our representatives are not going to do their jobs then all future wage withholdings should apply across the board to all civilian employees from the president on down to the bottom. It's just wrong that those who are and were doing their jobs get stiffed while those that weren't continue to be paid. It's not a political game here, these are peoples lives and well being.
  • As an ex-Coastie, I really appreciate the effort of Susan Collins. That said, it's totally irrational and just plain cruel to wantonly punish innocent government workers who have absolutely no connection to this issue. Trump is a total ASSHOLE.