Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Resources for individual bond investors.

Can somebody recommend a site and a discussion board for investors, who are interested in individual bonds.

Comments

• edited January 2019
    To be fair I've never gone down this road but I believe the major brokerages (i.e. Fidelity et.al.) may have an education center for bond investors. You might also check the M* Discussion Forum for Bond investing, along with the usual Google search stuff. Good luck.
  • edited January 2019
    Hi sir if u need find info re certain information bonds or company: Google cusip,

Moodys.Com to find out ratings of certain muni bonds and their previous prices (may need to get registered w free email account)

Google CUSIP usually give lots info and see many firms that may have hold the bonds in their portfolio

Call the firm itself that are selling bonds (like call Vanguard bond Desk schwab, td or Zions Direct 8005248875 ) and ask for previous info or red flag about these bonds before you buy them/find out if they been paying divs or if they are in troubles,... Most firms will give u their opinion if bonds doing ok

Also set up Google.com/alerts in ur Gmail account and gets stat info regarding certain bonds if they are not doing too well and u can decide immediately if u want sell them
    (I.e. Att bankrupt)
    (I. E. prosp Cap Corp bankrup)

Personally I buy bonds or High yields individuals bonds that are held by many Etf or bonds funds.. You know these bonds are held because the firms already fid their full research for you already before they bought and hold them in their portfolio

MSRB’s Electronic Municipal Market Access (EMMA®) is another resource that may give u plenty information regarding previous bonds

Also search for 'att default' and see if any problems before buying these critters

Hope these help
  • https://m.moodys.com/

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&hl=en&q=Bonds+invest

You may consider read couple of books to understand private individual bonds before before buying them

• A somewhat moribund (last updated 2012 or so) site that I've found excellent for investing in bonds is ... investinginbonds.com

I invest in munis, and this page (5 pages printed) was invaluable in understanding accretion and amortization, the asymmetrical treatment of market discount and market premium, the difference between original issue discount (OID) and market discount, etc.
    http://investinginbonds.com/learnmore.asp?catid=8&subcatid=60

Perhaps not as important since 2014, when the new brokerage cost basis reporting requirements for bonds kicked in, but still essential to understanding these investments.

Lot's more on the site about all types of bonds, from basics to fine details.
  • @msf
    I second your opinion about discovering bond related educational info at the site you linked. I recall the 2012 time period at MFO, when are least one of the writers for that site was a member here.