Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Dukester's Report

Hi guys,
Listened to a FIDO webcast....a few things were said that made me think. Christmas lows were big....could hold for a long time. One wonders what a long time might be or what long might give. A test of 2741 is something they say we will see....funny,.....2750 is a sell point for me. Again it all goes back to the one in DC. They were talking 3% 10's by summer or so. Health care is a buy......WTF?! Duke and I are speechless. How could this be?? They also expect mid caps to outperform the first half of the year. It's about time these teens and young adults are the best. Been there, done that (i.e., worked for mid cap company). We were friction' awesome in our prime.....that there is a long neck moment. Boys and girls, still two (2) things are out there....after midterms in a year out since 1946. You get a 16% return.....good, no? And every Republican president has seen a recession since 1900. Choose your position. Mine is a good, very good whiskey.
God bless
the Pudd
p.s. Saying all that......will say this. Have added to UMBMX, PARMX, BTMFX, ROGSX, and FSHCX at the Dukester's pushing. So, I got the big pop today.....not that it matters.....lol. Also, if the China stuff is true, then the transports might be a space to look at as they were trashed in the crash. But from now till then, no more will I buy. One must prove to me that all is good till the flags fly.

Comments

• edited January 2019
    Thanks, Puddenhead, Pretty much nailed the pin on the head ...

- Normally a Prez likes to get that recession out of the way early in his / her first term. The hope is to have things turning up before he / she runs for a second term. That didn’t happen. Further, this Prez seems intent on brow-beating the Fed Chair into holding the line on interest rates. I’d liken that to holding the top down on a kettle of boiling water. Eventually something gives - and it usually ain’t pretty.

- I’m not sure that 16% annual return number holds water anymore in an era of very low inflation and interest rates. I’d expect equity returns to be lower as well.

- On the whiskey front, interested if anyone has tried any of these $40 single malts (observed on a grocer’s shelf recently): (1) Glenlivet Founders Reserve (their lowest price point), (2) Aberfeldy, (3) Buchanan’s Deluxe.
  • Hi @Puddenhead: Thanks for posting your thoughts. I enjoy reading what others are thinking and doing. Wishing you well with your investing endeavors. Old_Skeet
  • Not sure I get all of what the OP has offered us, but I did make a significant move into healthcare during the December doldrums. Got some pop from my CEF health positions and especially when my long-term holding CELG got an buy-out offer from BMY.