Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers ...

edited January 2019 in Off-Topic
“Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.”

“While the Postal Service has no official motto, the popular belief that it does is a tribute to America's postal workers. The words above, thought to be the motto, are chiseled in gray granite over the entrance to the New York City Post Office on 8th Avenue and come from Book 8, Paragraph 98, of The Persian Wars by Herodotus.”
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/01/30/usps-mail-delivery-suspension/2720924002/

United States Postal Service extends Michigan's mail delivery suspension: https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/01/30/usps-mail-delivery-suspension/2720924002/

Guess just because it’s chiseled in stone somewhere in New York doesn’t make it true.

Comments

• Many walking routes, air temperature a minus 20-30 degrees, a minus 50-60 degree windchill, I don't need no mail that bad. Good call.
  • Yes, good call, for sure.
  • edited January 2019
    Points well taken. I’m on a rural route. Guy drives up in heated vehicle and shoves the mail into a roadside box.

Meanwhile I’ve been out there 2-3 hours every day in 0 degrees and strong wind keeping open a considerable amount of driveway. Just a different perspective. Nothing that important in the mail for sure. Wonder how much $$ the post office will save by halting delivery for 2 days?

My Honda.
    :)

• Sweet! Noisy but necessary.