Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How Much Cash is Out There?

edited February 2019 in Off-Topic
“This graph shows U.S. dollars in circulation per capita—in other words, how much physical cash is held outside the Federal Reserve for each person living in the U.S. As of the November 2018 observation, that amount is $6,575.”

https://fredblog.stlouisfed.org/2019/02/how-much-cash-is-out-there/

Comments

• How much does amz have in cash... Made me do mad when look at their tax discount
  • That sounds right- in SF you need about that much for food each week.
  • I don't even understand what I am supposed to think or conclude from that link in terms of my $6K+ share.
  • edited February 2019
    Anna said:

I don't even understand what I am supposed to think or conclude from that link in terms of my $6K+ share.

Anna, I think you’re out there in the great NW section of the country. Suggest throwing your $6500 towards a ticket to see Hamilton in Seattle if you haven’t already seen it. While the best seats are being advertised at over 10K - your $6500 should at least get you in the door.

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/theater/how-did-hamilton-tickets-get-so-expensive-and-what-does-that-mean-for-future-big-events/

Note: That $6,575 figure was apparently derived by dividing the outstanding cash in circulation (and unaccounted for) by the population of U.S. Since, as article alludes, it’s not uncommon for people in foreign countries to pack freezers full of U.S. currency (for various reasons) it’s likely your share or my share of that cash is somewhat smaller.

Regards
  • That'll only get less than 13 of my commune buddies into the $569 seats. We don' like the cheaper ones. Maybe only send my husband and the rest of the border security watch crew. They like stuff like that and Canadian intrusion won't uptick too much while they are absent without Hamiltonians.
  • edited February 2019
    Those $569 seats are likely “obstructed view”... But, go for it.:)

PS - Those high wage Amazon workers in and around Seattle must have driven the ticket prices up.