Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

how can I support MFO?

edited April 2011 in Off-Topic
what's the best way to 'support' MFO, I usually contribute annually and buy stuff from amazon but it seems both of these features maybe gone. is it still ~ 40s/50s dollars annual contributions [don't know the difference since the dollars are like junk these days:)], maybe best to send you a small gold bar:). RW has return the previous check.

thanks

Comments

• Hi, johnN!

We'll have three options within a day. I just got an unrestricted PayPal account authorized yesterday (there was some question about whether we qualified as a non-profit operation) and I've created an Amazon link. I was hoping that one or two people would test the link for us by pasting it as a URL and buying something small. Chip bought a used book for a buck and I was able to confirm that she'd offered her four cents' worth to the site. As the guy who registered the link, none of my Amazon purchases will qualify and I'd be happier to have a little confirmation.

Our link is:

http://www.amazon.com?_encoding=UTF8&tag=mutufundobse-20

The third option will be a "best books" page. When things are tidy later this week, I was going to post two questions to the board: "if you had only one book to recommend to a young (at heart?) investor, what would it be" and "if you had only one book to recommend to someone trying to understand the Bigger Picture of personal finance, what would it be?" Once folks weigh in, I'll work with Brad and Chip to create a books page that links to those titles and that offers snippets of folks' reasoning. With luck, that will be sort of a two-fold public service: an easy click to support the site and some really useful guidance.

I hope that helps.

More soon!

David
  • Hi David,

I just bought a couple of books. Note that it added a $50 amazon gift card, but that was probably my mistake.

thanks for your efforts,

rono
  • Bought a book at Amazon - Hiking Alaska - for $9.23 through the MFO link.
    Hope it worked.
  • Thanks, guys!

Amazon updates once each day, so by 9:00 a.m. tomorrow we'll know. I really do appreciate it.

David
  • i also bought [hope you'll see it tomorrow]
  • David, Let us know if the Amazon links worked. I've added link to my Desktop so I can use that whenever I access Amazon. Also, can you give us your PayPal account id for those of us who also want to donate directly? I sent a donation to Roy several weeks ago - hope he got it.
  • edited April 2011
    It's a bit more than $1, but what is bound to be an entertaining read by Our Founder,
    *Continuity and Change in the Rhetoric of the Moral Majority* (Routledge 1991), is available on Amazon, languishing in 3,116, 841 place.
    On my personal wish list: *When I am Playing with My Cat, How Do I Know That She Is Not Playing with Me? Montaigne and Being in Touch with Life* (sounds as though it could be applicable to the investing universe).
    And the title waiting to be written, also proposed as a name for this site:
    Don't Invest Like a Jacka$$. Could be nicely bookended with the *Bogleheads' [Sober] Guide to Investing.*
  • Continuity and Change would have made it to 3,116,840th place if it weren't for that one damning review: I was accused of being "clear and surprisingly accessible." That was the kiss of doom.

David
  • Caty has a great idea re the Amazon link. There are so many Amazon links on my computer that I sometimes forget about the FA/MFO tie-in, but if I replace all of those reference links with the new MFO link, that should take care of the memory problem.

One question remains, though: Where IS the new Amazon/MFO link? I haven't run across it yet, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.
  • Well, duh!! There it is, right up this page a little. Sorry 'bout that.
  • You can find the official "Support Us" page at http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/support.php
  • edited April 2011
    Great. I've already replaced all of my Amazon links with the new MFO portal link. Next in line is my wife's computer too.

Tell you what. Like all good FundAlarmers I hate to pay anyone a management fee. Give us a PO box or something and I'll mail you a check, for the full amount, not less 2.5% to Paypal.

If you can't do that, I'll use Paypal... let us know.