Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

And The No. 1 Stock-Fund Manager Is… (FAOFX)

TedTed
edited April 2019 in Fund Discussions
FYI: What a difference three months can make in the world of top-performing mutual-fund managers.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.wsj.com/articles/and-the-no-1-stock-fund-manager-is-11554689520?mod=article_inline

Comments

• Hardly surprising. Since the previous year was negative,one would expect the most conservative funds to do well. Given how big the last quarter was we would expect an aggressive fund to be the winner
  • Give it 3 - 5 yrs... Very difficult to stay atop for 5 straight yrs
  • edited April 2019
    Interesting article, I presume. I don't have access using Incognito, MasterBlaster and other tricks I may use to read this WSJ write.
    I will presume that the writer made it known that this fund is for internal use at Fidelity and not directly available to "us".
    For those with access to the article, any copy/paste text of value could be appreciated.
    @jerry Does the article express that this fund is conservative?
    @johnN You're likely correct, but the same applies to just about every fund, index or sector one may choose to observe. Anyway, as noted; you can't buy this fund with your or my money.
    I'm sure we've all noticed every once in awhile a particular holding we have is in the right place at the right time, yes?
    When all of the investment stars align, and we're not even thinking about a retrograde period.
    From my review, the FAOFX fund is/has been in the right places; according to its composition.
    I searched here (MFO), but I could not find my investment suggestion for the new year for the below. My bad.

Fidelity FTEC, technology, performance link

Have a pleasant remainder.
    Catch
  • @Catch22- Ask, and you shall receive. (Maybe... but don't count on it.) The following excerpts from the Wall Street Journal article, which I believe that you were interested in, were selected and edited for brevity.

"The magnitude and speed of the market’s recovery [so far this year] helped three Morgan Stanley mutual funds land in the top six in The Wall Street Journal’s first quarterly Winners’ Circle contest of 2019.

Top laurels, meanwhile, were again won by two Fidelity Investments funds that focus on growth companies. Fidelity Advisor Series Growth Opportunities Fund (FAOFX) repeated as the best-performing stock fund over the previous 12 months. (Under our contest rules, funds must be diversified U.S.-stock funds, actively managed, with at least $50 million in assets and a record of no less than three years.) The fund posted a 12-month return of 38% as of March 31. Fidelity Advisor Growth Opportunities (FAGOX), was again No. 2 with 33.5%.

Readers shouldn’t treat this as a list of recommended funds. Often, the managers recognized in our contest are reaping the fruits of investments made several years ago and have endured periods of underperformance en route to their moment in the spotlight. It is also worth noting, this month, that our top-performing fund can’t be accessed directly by investors; instead, it is an underlying investment in Fidelity Freedom Funds and certain asset-management programs. Our rankings exclude passive investment vehicles, sector funds, funds that use leverage to amplify returns or manage risk, and quantitative funds that employ screens to select their holdings.
    "

• Hi @Old_Joe
    Thank you. I'm perplexed why WSJ would use an internal Fidelity fund for such a list.
    Their notation of this fund surely is of no benefit for the overwhelming majority of their subscriber base, eh? A bit like giving the "bird" to those of "small" wealth.
    Not unlike a list of the best of: autos, appliances, etc.; but you regular folks do not have access to purchase, at any price. We just wanted to let know what you're missing.

The fund composition, IMHO; happens to be in a happy place at the time. Not unlike my mention of Fidelity's FTEC etf. But, the happy place will eff and flow; as the markets dictate.
    Thanks again.
    Catch
  • On a major major tear the last year; its start-of-year holdings included FANG, JUUL, SalesForce, Tesla, United HC, etc etc.

Rock on.

Not ownable by any of us, though. Fido and Price Blue Chip Growth would appear to be about the closest, of course not run by Weaver.