Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A Fund’s Long Time Frame: Forever: (AKREX)

FYI: Akre Focus Fund (AKREX) takes buy-and-hold investing to heart, often holding the same small group of stocks for years at a time.

The $9.8 billion mutual fund, which was up more than 19% in the first quarter of this year, currently has 22 holdings that the fund managers believe compound shareholder capital at above-average rates of return. Investments are made based on four criteria, says John Neff, one of the fund’s portfolio managers.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-funds-long-time-frame-forever-11554688920

M* Snapshot AKREX:
https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/akrex/quote.html

Comments

• edited April 2019
    I've admired this managers skills even way back when he ran FBR Focus. When I moved my retirement money to Schwab back in 2014, I think I remember AKREX had a TF to buy, so decided not to hold it.

Long story short, I noticed no TF at schwab now so I decided to do a 1 for 1 swap. Back in Feb. I bought AKREX to take the place of GTLOX, another really good large cap growth fund. So now I hold the manager I've wanted for the last 10 years.
  • edited April 2019
    wow, AKREX has 4% turnover, the other 71%, TRBCX in between

all look good
  • If the fund has little turnover (a good thing), then what do they do that requires a 1.32% ER (not a good thing)?
  • OJ-just a hint, it's not for the customers yachts. Good fund though. I'm thinking that shareholders are not crying on the way to the bank or anywhere else for that matter.
  • @OJ, missed that, +1
  • Well, I'm inclined to think that Mark has it nailed... excessive ER, but shareholders still doing pretty well.
  • ntf at fido
  • When turnover is so low, why not just mirror their book in your PA and skip the 1%+ ER...
  • edited April 2019
    Chuck Akre has been in my portfolio for decades. I've always searched for a backup fund due to his age, to no avail. I've watched his former analyst over at HFCSX but haven't been impressed. My original purchase in 2009 is up 300+ and I have sold portions as Akre's portfolio exceeded 15% of my total holdings. A good portion of my AKRIX is now house money. I wish I could meet the dude..... I also owned FBRVX once upon a time.
  • JoJo26 said:

When turnover is so low, why not just mirror their book in your PA and skip the 1%+ ER...

if you have the nerve:

http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/holdings?t=AKRIX&region=usa&culture=en-US

• edited April 2019
    Agreed! I'd pay up to maybe .90 for that (which I do for PRBLX) but 1.32 is too much.

Also noted this fund has only been around for 5-ish years so it's really thrived as growth funds thrived. Let's see how it handles the ext GFC before getting too excited..
    Old_Joe said:

If the fund has little turnover (a good thing), then what do they do that requires a 1.32% ER (not a good thing)?

• huh? 10yo this LD, it says
  • We have AKREX in three different family accounts. Latest shareholder letter points out that cash is building up because of new purchases. Now that AUM are north of $10B, it's no longer under the radar. For our money, the ER charged is well worth it. Akre is so good and so steady that the only possible complaint is boredom or complacency. What's exciting about American Tower? Just kidding...I love those returns and low tax bill.