Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Schwab users question

Recently changed password as ID & Password were remembered by PC. I watch as PC asks , do you what to save this. I reply with a click, NO! NO! Now the "new"Password appears & I click & I'm into Schwab account. Should I report this to Schwab. I may have error-ed once, but twice within a week ! I had former password for over a year with no problem. Vanguard doesn't seem to have this problem, but I go there less . I should mention that password comes up as a series of ***'s, which is normal.
Derf

Comments

• edited June 2019
    Hi sir make sure you dont havee a Chinese made lap top, good antiviral and antispy wares you should be ok... Been using schwab.com save pswd for past 8 yrs and nothing happened (not yet knock in wood)

You are right cant save Vanguard pswd

We have chrome firefox and malawarebyes korskopsky antiviral spywares
  • @johnN: Do you really think made in China has anything to do with this problem ? Made for Lenovo .
    Derf
  • edited June 2019
    @Derf - That’s not necessarily a Schwab specific issue. It would make me uncomfortable too.

One of 3 possibilities: Password was saved by your computer; by your browser / search engine (ie Google Chrome); or by Schwab as you suggest. My guess would be it’s browser or search engine related. If it is, it’s possible to reset the browser / search engine not to remember passwords and also possible to clear out everything it has remembered.

I don’t know what type computer you have. I use only Apple and wouldn’t hesitate to call and seek their assistance. They’re pretty good at helping with security related issues. Yep - the tech people at Schwab could probably assist as well.

Good luck. Let us know when you get it sorted out. These issues can be frustrating.
  • Oddly, this happened to me as well...and I NEVER choose to have the browser save passwords for any website where dollars could be at risk.

I think a note to Schwab is in order, which I will do tomorrow AM.
  • @Derf- I'm using a Firefox variant browser on an old (15 years!) creaky Apple desktop here. That browser stores passwords and cookies on your computer, in two separate lists. I suspect that the great majority of browsers do something similar.

It's usually very easy to go to those lists and delete any passwords or cookies that you don't want to keep, but it does require some basic knowledge of the workings of whatever browser you're using. Actually, for security reasons everyone should be familiar with this stuff in any case. Note that if your device can use more than one browser, each of those browsers will have it's own set of files... they aren't shared between browsers.

I suggest using a search engine to ask that question: "How do I eliminate password storage on a "xxx" browser running on a "yyy" device?", with xxx of course being the browser that you are using, and yyy being whatever computer (or other device) that you are using.

Another approach would be to use a search engine to find the home site for whatever browser you are using, and surely there will be some arrangement for asking questions there.

Note that I use the generic "a search engine" rather than say "Google it". Personally I don't let Google anywhere near any of my computers if I can avoid it. Google is just creepy-nosy, in my opinion.

If you think that Schwab is storing one or more passwords themselves and the difficulty is on their end, try calling customer service, or drop in at your local Schwab office, and asking them how that works. They are usually very helpful.
  • edited June 2019
    @_derf j.k about Chinese computers.. 88%of all computers and Android are likely made in China

I am also very lazy to Reentry the psswd everytime do it works out well I think since we have very good antiviral and antispy wares
  • @Old-Joe; I was able to delete password at one of the browsers . Never thought to try the other browser. Thanks for the info.
    @hank: You replied, " search engine related." Never thought of that. Thanks for the info.
    If I have no more problems by deleting PW from browser I'll let you know.
    Thanks for your help, Derf
  • edited June 2019
    Thanks for the feedback @Derf and others. The issue affects all of us to some degree. Every time Apple installs a new version of IOS (roughly 6 times yearly) I have to learn all over again. Seems like a never ending battle to protect privacy and guard secure information.

I normally do searches using regular Google or Bing (which I’ve grown to like). Those work with my Safari (Apple) browser. But for financial related documents I reserve the Google Chrome browser. And it’s Google Chrome that often seems intent on doing everything for you - except wipe your behind. So I’m constantly working to keep it from remembering more than I want it to. I guess they think they’re making our lives easier - but sometimes they’re not.

Most companies (like Schwab, Amazon, T. Rowe Price) have a separate IT (technology) department that is far better capable of helping with these matters. A good phone rep will often automatically redirect your query to the tech people. (But sometimes I’m surprised by how much the rep that initially takes the call is able to assist.)
    -

PS - @Old_Joe ‘s advice to run a search on your question is spot-on. Most of the time it works. Beats waiting on hold for 15-20 minutes or longer for some phone rep / technician to take up your call.:)
  • I agree with those who have pointed the finger towards a browser function. Periodically, and without any apparent reason; I'm asked at a few login web pages whether I want to save the password, etc. (to make it easier the next time accessing the page). NOPE, NEVER.
    We have a safely stored electronic and paper list of all required login info for sites that require same.
    ADD: all related browser history, cookies, etc. is cleared at least once each day of use.
  • I use Dashlane to manage my passwords for desktop iMac and laptop MacBook. It's not free if you use it on more than one device. On my iPhone and iPad, Schwab access is via my fingerprint. Dashlane can also be set up for fingerprint recognition rather than using a master password. FWIIW, I have owned Apple devices only since I started computing in 1987. I avoid Safari if I can, in favor of Firefox.
  • edited June 2019
    @BenWP- Ditto on Apple only since whenever. I still have my original SE30- I turned it on a few weeks ago just for the hell of it and it still boots! Also ditto on Firefox vs Safari.

I still run a fleet of old G5s, because I still use the old Claris CAD and Claris Works apps. In fact, all of our financial records have been kept on Claris Works spreadsheets since 1993. That's why I mentioned a "Firefox variant"... it's 10-4 Fox, which is the latest Firefox release modified and tweaked for the G5 and OS10-4-11.

We also have a Mini for use when the G5s can't handle something, typically the latest/greatest internet audio or video stuff.
  • edited June 2019
    "And it’s Google Chrome that often seems intent on doing everything for you"

@hank- and you'd better believe keeping massive records of everything that you do or that it does for you. Google = creepy.

Bing or (especially) DuckDuckGo work just fine, much less big brother.
  • edited June 2019
    I use Firefox (have done so since when it was still Netscape 1.0) and it's done just fine. With the right plug-ins and settings, it's a damn secure and privacy-preserving browser ( compared to the others) and I use it for pretty much all my browsing needs. It's also one of the last ones that is *extremely* customizable by users ... heck, Google the other day announced they're nixing the ability to use adblockers in Chrome, reserving that 'feature' for paying enterprise customers.

I believe in mindful segmentation. Ergo Safari is my 'dirty' browser for nonessential things - i.e., it's the only browser where I actually log into Google (for work) or work-related social media and don't manage the cookies on it. Like others said, it's annoying that Apple ties the browser to the OS, so they will arbitrarily break things w/o telling you. I like my applications separate from the OS. (The only native Mac app I still use is Mail and Contacts, btw)

RARELY will i use Chrome, and usually it's b/c that's needed due to how my students have developed something with Google services. But it generally just collects dust.