Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

You are paying attention to bond yields, yes?

I anticipated a direct post related to bond yields actions, prior to this 8:50 am, EST, post.

Short on time today, but IMHO; one needs to give attention to the bond yield drops.
Bond yields have had significant moves in the past few days, and yesterday in particular. As a reference, the UST, 10 year had a yield change drop, that in math terms is about 9% since Thursday morning.
Had this 9% been for SPY, SP-500 or related similar equity market; one would be seeing and reading very large headlines.
It is my continued opinion that one needs to continue to observe investment grade bond yields to help maintain a "feel" for the overall health and direction of the equity markets.
This yield action may be a quick flash for whatever reasons drive these movements from the large players. I'm not formally trained in economics, but a long time observer.
Your investment grade bond holdings should have seen significant positive price movements yesterday, August 1 and early indicators today suggest the same for today (August 2). Investment grade bonds have had very decent gains YTD.
Hang in there,
Catch

Comments

• Anyone making short term portfolio adjustments to capture bond fund capital appreciation as rates move down?

PTIAX had a .51% gain yesterday.
  • edited August 2019
    bee said:

Anyone making short term portfolio adjustments to capture bond fund capital appreciation as rates move down?

Those of us statically allocated can only watch in disbelief. As for my funds, I was surprised yesterday when DODIX jumped .43%, but absolutely stunned to see docile OUSGX leap by the same amount.
  • @hank
    Generally..........investment grade corp. bonds were up in price yesterday about 1%. OUSGX is about 61% invested in U.S. corp. bonds.
  • No. I let PIMCO do that for me. Very long PCI, PDI, PFN and PTY.
  • All the prices of my bond funds rose yesterday. Likely their yields are moving downward.
  • edited August 2019
    Thanks for checking @Catch22. OUSGX fell quite a bit the day before - so yesterday’s gain was in part a bounce.

@bee is probably correct that outsized gains in bond funds don’t usually persist long. So capturing some gains by moving to ultra short might be a good idea. Personally, it ain’t worth the effort. (Getting lazy at this point in life):)
  • Yes, I was amazed at PTIAX yesterday. Up again today. I took 56% of my PRSNX and bought that much of RPSIX today. Was it a happy coincidence, or a major blunder? After I'd seen that PRSNX is carrying a bit more risk than I like, and its div shrank in June and July, I decided it was time. I am not particularly attracted to any fund full of other funds, but with the added bit (13%) of equities in its portfolio, I am rather comfortable with RPSIX. PRSNX was up today, and RPSIX was down by just a penny. But these are not equity funds, anyhow... Eventually, I suppose I'll start taking the divs rather than re-investing it all.
  • edited August 2019
    Long Treasuries are killing it, and the 3m/10y inversion I mentioned recently on another Catch thread is up into nosebleed territory. Hard to imagine the yield drop's going to continue more than a day or two longer (if that) at this pace, in the short term anyway.

Got caught w/o any long Ts, but muni funds, PTIAX, and PRSNX are making up for it. The smaller than normal stakes I have in PCI and PDI are doing fine, but not contributing a lot to gains now since I took most of the ytd profits on them and PCN earlier.
  • @AndyJ et al

Usually a decent overview and thoughts regarding credit markets and debt issues related. If you've a few extra minutes in the schedule, have a view.

Bloomberg Real Yield program, Aug. 2 (22 minute video)

Good evening,
    Catch
  • edited August 2019
    catch22 said:

@AndyJ et al

Usually a decent overview and thoughts regarding credit markets and debt issues related. If you've a few extra minutes in the schedule, have a view.

Bloomberg Real Yield program, Aug. 2 (22 minute video)

Good evening,
    Catch

Right on, @Catch. I usually watch over the weekend; it's live on Friday. I posted a link to it on MFO a while back, in fact. I like how Jonathon facilitates and gets so much out of the pro participants.
  • @AndyJ
    Yes. Occasionally one finds a program now and then, that is worth the time to gain insight without anyscreaming or hollering; an intellectual discussion. This is very professional; and I agree, the host moves through the topics properly.
    WONDERING.........how/who selects the guests?
  • edited August 2019
    Dunno who or how, Catch, but it's always chief FI investment folks from (mostly) the big houses, with quite a few repeats and at least some of the time, one guest from overseas. I like some of the repeats 'cause you can see their strategy changes over time.

You also learn a bit about longer term house views. For one example, the always bullish-on-credit JPM guy would lead me, all else being equal, to avoid their credit-sensitive funds if there's any heightened credit risk in the markets.