Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

10 Buy-and-Hold Stocks to Own Forever

edited August 2019 in Off-Topic
https://investorplace.com/2019/08/10-retirement-stocks-to-buy-and-hold/

10 Buy-and-Hold Stocks to Own Forever
These 10 picks will provide income, safety for would-be and current retirees

Comments

• I don't think any individual stock should be buy and hold forever. History is full of once powerful companies that are now defunct or a fraction of the size they once were.
  • Am still holding 5000 shares of International Buggywhip (IBW). Hoping for comeback any time now. When that happens, am going to sell and buy a modern tech stock- thinking maybe Blackberry. You've got to stay on top of these things.
  • TedTed
    edited August 2019
    @MFO Members: Old_Joe's comedy grade! C-
    Regards,
    Ted:)
  • @Ted: Thanks! Didn't realize that I'd made such an improvement!
  • edited August 2019
    I agree with Lewis here. Stuff happens. See GE, Boeing and others.

• I know! My shares of Gas Lamp Lighters (GLL) are still way underwater, too. But I'm sure they'll come back any day now!
    Old_Joe said:

Am still holding 5000 shares of International Buggywhip (IBW). Hoping for comeback any time now. When that happens, am going to sell and buy a modern tech stock- thinking maybe Blackberry. You've got to stay on top of these things.

• My/Catch notations in bold.

Some self provided bio of the article author
    Vince Martin (RSS)
    Recent Advice
    10 Cyclical Stocks to Buy (or Sell) Now....(I especially like this maybe title)
    10 Buy-and-Hold Stocks to Own Forever...(What would cause one to write such advice?)

Vince Martin has written for sites such as Seeking Alpha and CalvinAyre.com for years, covering stocks across a range of industries. A former registered representative,

Martin saw the dot-com bubble inflate and burst in real time, creating a healthy respect for downside risk.

He splits his time between Chicago and rural Wisconsin with his wife and three dogs.
  • Howdy,

A couple of attractive names but I'm with Lewis and Mark. No company is immune from failure over time. This smells like talking heads.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono