Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ben Carlson: KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) The Best Finance Books In One Sentence

FYI: Ben enjoys reading finance books but most people do not.

So to make your life easier, he went through all the classic finance books and distilled the message into a single sentence or phrase.

He would still recommend reading many of these books if you haven’t, but let’s be realistic, that’s probably not going to happen for all but the biggest finance geeks on the planet (again, that’s Be).

Here’s what he came up with:
Regards,
Ted
https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2019/08/tldr-the-best-finance-books-in-one-sentence/

Comments

• Hi Guys,

I never have and l never will write a book on any subject, but I can generate some actionable one-line summaries on a few topics. Here is my contribution to a one-line investment wisdom compilation.

“Daily or weekly reviews of a portfolio’s value is a Loser’s Game. Some distance is required to retain sanity.”

So, ok it’s two lines. But in my defense, they are both very short sentences. That should count just a little.

Your contribution to this listing is encouraged. I’m positive we will all benefit from your quick investment wisdom gems. A good gem is a useful thing, especially when trying to deliver a point to a reluctant listener.

Best Wishes
  • edited August 2019
    MJG said:

Hi Guys, “Daily or weekly reviews of a portfolio’s value is a Loser’s Game. Some distance is required to retain sanity.”

I never heard of anybody who does that. Have you? I review mine every 3 months and rebalance than only if there’s been a significant deviation from the benchmark allocations. In the past year, there has been one rebalance. And that one was related to taking out RMD equitably across the various components.

If you are saying looking at how your funds performed more often is a looser’s game, than I fail to comprehend. If you are widely diversified (everything from EM currencies to gold miners and 30-year treasuries), than I think it’s normal to “look” and enjoy the way all those various market components interact on a grand scale. Liken it to observing the heavens at night and noting how star clusters change from month to month or how the moon waxes and wanes. Or, MJG, how about glancing at a beautiful woman walking past on a sunny street?

In the first instance, the sky won’t fall down on you if you look too often. In the second, looking won’t turn you into a rapist. (Trust me.)

Regards
  • MJG
    edited August 2019
    Hi Hank,

Unlike you, I do know a few folks who are uncomfortable if they do not make very frequent trades. Sometimes even a few trades every day. Unlike them, I do follow a strategy vey similar to yours. I make very few trades each year.

What motivates each market participant varies greatly. Each of us have different goals, knowledge, and disciplines. Here is a Link to a paper that attempts a very general explanation:

http://www.newtraderu.com/2017/05/31/battle-temptation-overtrade/

I am fortunate enough to successfully overcome the temptation to trade often. I suspect that temptation would be a greater challenge to resist if I viewed market shows on a daily basis. I do not do so. I find these presentations rather boring.

Thanks for your insightful and helpful submittal.

Best Wishes
  • @hank- I'm very disappointed to see you submitting. Stand up and be a man!

:)
  • Old_Joe said:

@hank- I'm very disappointed to see you submitting. Stand up and be a man!:)

I submit that that’s a bad play on words.:)

• @MJG
    You penned: "Daily or weekly reviews of a portfolio’s value is a Loser’s Game."
    My oh my; quite the rigid statement suggesting an inability of someone not being capable of a combination of emotional, intellectual or intuitive decision making regarding their portfolio.
    Simply observing weekly portfolio/other market data does not impel or compel someone to take any actions; but can be part of a meaningful learning and study habit. Malcolm Gladwell would likely agree, yes?
    As to those who would do harm to their portfolio from weekly observation of same or market data; I suggest these same folks are not yet fully developed to understand their nature. This further suggests these same folks would have some difficulties with other aspects of their live's and decision making. Of course, these folks exist; and may be observed by simply driving on the roads among them and observing their driving habits.
    Living in Michigan, where I have experienced the weather extremes of a 120 degree heat index to a -45 degree wind chill factor; if I didn't pay attention to at least the weekly weather forecast, I would be ill prepared to have any sort of plan for anything I may want or be able to do.
    I have reviewed the daily and forward weather forecast and discovered I am able to properly position my "work portfolio".
    Lastly, we reviewed our portfolio and other market data on Saturday, as is the norm; and I am able to report that no harm has taken place within our investment portfolio.
    Regards,
    Catch
  • MJG
    edited August 2019
    Hi Catch22,

We all share some characteristics. We all differ in many other characteristics. That helps to make an active marketplace. That’s terrific. It would be very dull otherwise. Of course these various options and interpretations might do your portfolio some good and/or some bad. How knows? That’s the gamble when investing.

I choose to be less active. You might choose to be very active. Each is appropriate given our separate and distinct targets, wealth, and timeframes. There are no simple, single size fits all when investing. To each his own!

Thanks for your perspective. I welcome it and all, really all others.

Best Wishes
  • @MJG

>> I never have and l never will write a book

too late; you already have, at length
  • MJG
    edited August 2019
    Hi Davidrmoran,

Yes indeed, over a long timeframe I have contributed countless opinions and references to this site. So have you and many others. I find it hard, no impossible, not to actively participate. I suppose, integrated over my lifetime here, I likely have submitted a composite book. But I don't keep score.

I hope I have enhanced others understanding more than damaged their investment concepts. That was and is my modest goal. I am neither a professional writer nor a professional investment advisor. That shouldn't be a disqualifier. I suspect most participants on this site are, like me, amateurs in these disciplines. Given that status, we likely try harder. I do.

So, I plan to simply continue this march, hopefully without taking too many nonprofitable roads. I learn each and every day. There are many pitfalls to avoid.

Thank you for your present and past interest.

Best Regards