Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Why Muni Bonds Are a Good Investment Pla

https://money.usnews.com/investing/bonds/articles/why-muni-bonds-are-a-good-investment-play

Why Muni Bonds Are a Good Investment Play
Tax-free income remains a key benefit when it comes to investing in municipal bonds.

Comments

• edited August 2019
    Gotta mention PTRMX. I don't own it, but have been tracking it.:) Looks rather more volatile than most, but dividends are .... extraordinary for a tax-free fund. N'est pas?
  • Crash said:

Gotta mention PTRMX. ... dividends are .... extraordinary for a tax-free fund. N'est pas?

Good, but not extraordinary. Look at the price - $25+. The yield's only in the mid-2s.

I've looked at it off and on, being familiar and happy (as you are) with PTIAX, but have never bought in.
  • Look at VWAHX/VWALX which I own. Also has an avg bond rating of BBB but much better yield and metrics imho.
  • edited August 2019
    VWALX, yes. But the $50,000.00 minimum for entry, I suspect, deliberately prevents "small money" from getting in, probably because it would make them want to raise the rock-bottom ER. $50,000 is a big enough wall for me, so that I just would not seriously consider it. "Hi Yield munis? MUNIS? I suppose that fact would reduce risk?
  • VWAHX has a minimum of $3000 with great metrics also. Though these funds are called Hi yield: in fact the avg bond rating for both of these funds has been BBB, investment grade, the same as PTRMX. Vanguard tends to run their hi yield bond funds on the conservative side.Just another option that some members might be interested in.
  • By the way in my account with Wellstrade , VWALX has a $0. minimum. I opened the position with way under 50K. This could be available on some members brokerage platforms also.
  • +1. Cool. I'll check Fido. I'm very new there, myself. Unfunded, still. All I've done so far is to create the account.
  • fundly said:

VWAHX has a minimum of $3000 with great metrics also. Though these funds are called Hi yield: in fact the avg bond rating for both of these funds has been BBB, investment grade, the same as PTRMX. Vanguard tends to run their hi yield bond funds on the conservative side.Just another option that some members might be interested in.

Just looked at VWAHX. Yes, you could do a lot worse. But I also happened to see VNJTX for Federal and NJ tax-free income. That looks like a good bet, too, even if you don't live in NJ. At least you get the FEDERAL tax-free component. And distributions are quite attractive.