Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M*: How To Create A Retirement Policy Statement

FYI: If you start reasonably early, set aside adequate savings, and invest in a semi-sane manner, it's hard to go terribly off track with investments in the years leading up to retirement. But decumulation--the process of figuring out how to position your portfolio to deliver desired cash flows in retirement--is another ballgame.

In retirement, a separate set of variables comes into play. Issues like asset allocation and the quality of the investments you choose are still important (which is why you still need an investment policy statement) but so are factors such as how--and how much--you'll spend from your portfolio on an ongoing basis.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.morningstar.com/articles/808697/how-to-create-a-retirement-policy-statement

Comments

• Yes, simple is good. I'll be glad when our transition is over, done, finished and behind us. I don't like juggling so many bowling balls in the air at the same time--- especially, I don't like needing to depend on info from others, and it takes TIME to get those answers...