Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Sundance Film Festival: InEquality For All

beebee
edited February 2013 in Off-Topic
"the hit of this year’s Sundance Film Festival was a low-key affair called Inequality for All, in which Robert Reich, a labor secretary in the Clinton administration, explains how rising income inequality and the demise of the middle class is causing so many Americans to suffer."

Source:
the-way-back-from-american-inequality-by-naomi-wolf

Film Website:
inequalityforall.com/

LA Times Interview:
Sundance-Film-Festival-Inequality-for-All

Comments

• From a 2012 Reuters post: Paul after PIMCO.
    Now McCulley, who says he’s more able to openly speak his mind because he isn’t responsible for managing other people’s money, seems to be enjoying the freedom to say what he thinks needs to be done to fix the economy. And he sees the need for a lot fixing, noting there needs to be more emphasis these days on social justice and income inequality.
  • edited February 2013
    Reply to @Charles: The following WealthTrack episodes are more recent interviews with McCulley:

Part 1: http://www.wealthtrack.com/previous_04-06-2012.php

Part 2: http://www.wealthtrack.com/previous_04-13-2012.php

I HIGHLY recommend these two episodes if you have not seen them before.
  • I notice Paul McCulley now sports a ponytail, not the corporate cleancut look.
  • edited February 2013
    All you guys gonna be in BIG trouble if Maurice* happens across this thread... don't worry- I ain't tellin'...

* Add: or Ted...
  • Robert Reich is nothing more than a left-wing communist.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited February 2013
    Reply to @Ted: Definition, "Communist": Anyone who has a different perspective on economic equity and the capitalist system than the you , Maurice, and all of the others just like you guys. When you can't provide a reasoned or intelligent response, just call them "commies".

Hell, it worked for McCarthy... why not?
  • edited February 2013
    Reply to @Ted: LOL - While I sympathize with many of Reich's views (please don't phone McCarthy), I'd agree in part. He strikes me as a professioal political hack (like so many on the other side) - and not a very convincing one at that. (Nice to see you loosen up a little Ted & comment on something outside of funds:-) .....

P.S. - As a card-carrying D, I'd trade your side two Reichs for one Bill Krystol. Or, will trade even-up for either David Gergen or David Brooks.
  • edited February 2013
    Reply to @Ted: lol.
  • Reply to @hank: Hey, I actually like and respect Gergen and Brooks. When they take a position opposite to mine, they have a well-reasoned argument, which frequently has a lot of merit. Interestingly, (and, I think, very telling) my hard-core right-wing acquaintances dismiss them as light-weight bozos. Those right-wing guys sure don't take no prisoners...
  • edited February 2013
    Reply to @Old_Joe: Yep - Agree it's tough out there. (And, nice use of the double-negative there:-)
  • edited February 2013
    Reply to @Investor: Outstanding! I enjoyed every minute. Helped clarify for me much of what's been happening past year of so. Liked the discussion of micro versus macro effects, private debt de-leveraging, fiscal versus monetary policy, end of bond bull (total return play versus yield), as well as recommended plays going forward. Oh, and the discussion about inflated entitlements promised to baby boomers, like me! Sad to say, while I knew of Bill Miller of course, I had not really appreciated him until this interview...he is indeed much more than the record. Really great Investor, thanks for sharing.
  • edited February 2013
    Reply to @Charles: I am glad you enjoyed them. I had enjoyed these two episodes back in 2012 and I personally liked to watch them again. Still very fresh today.