Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Unable to access MFO

edited February 2013 in Technical Questions
On 1/28/2012 Explorer was unable to access server - came up with an "oops" message. This continued all week however received monthly newsletter in my gmail account but even using the link provided I was unable to gain access to the MFO site. In desperation and getting withdrawal symptons my wife suggested downloading Firefox. I did but only achieved the same result. On 2/2/2012 both Firefox and Explorer were able to access MFO without a problem. Using desktop XP/Explorer 8 and Laptop 7/Explorer 9 and Firefox all produced the same result until everything just happened to work again. Just wondered if there had been others experiencing a similar problem and what the possibilities are that may have caused this for future reference. A week without MFO is really bad news !!
Thanks

Comments

• I'll mention the query to chip. She and I have both had intermittent problems in accessing the site over the past several days. She believes it's a problem at our host's end but hasn't yet figuring out what, exactly.

More soon,

Snowball
  • edited February 2013
    Sounds like your ISP had some DNS resolution issues or either your ISP or MFO web host had routing issues between them.
  • Reply to @Investor: Not my area of expertise but I was able to access all other sites without a problem which would possibly isolate it to the ISP/MFO interchanges in error ?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2013
    Reply to @sligo:

It is possible that you are able to access all other sites you normally visit without problem but that tells very little given the size of the Internet.

It is possible that vast portions of the Internet is accessible and you have problems with particular hosts or tiny sections of Internet due to routing etc. issues and the issue might or might not even be originating from the target site. It could be a problem on your ISP side with routing on their routers, your ISP DNS servers. It requires some troubleshooting on your side. Some of the basic steps are as follows:

Can you even resolve host name to DNS IP?

Can you ping the site by IP?

How far "traceroute" take you? Does it go all the way to the ISP of MFO or stop a lot earlier. The output would help determine the type of problem you might be having.

Can you use traceroute from 3rd party sites to when your own trace does not terminate normally.

Some 3rd party traceroute facilities are accessible via http://www.traceroute.org
  • I placed a call to our hosting company, today. Then, spent a bit of time in chat with them. They detect no errors at the server end, and have asked us to provide the following information, if it happens again:
    If the issue again come, please get back to us with the exact time when you having the issue and If the issue persists for some, please run the following command(Traceroute) from your system and get back to us with the result.

If you are using a windows OS
    tracert mutualfundobserver.com

If you are using a linux OS
    traceroute mutualfundobserver.com

On Mac
    traceroute mutualfundobserver.com

Also please give your IP address, you can get it from www.whatismyip.com
    Since the problem seems to be intermittent and difficult to track down, I'm hoping you all can help. If anyone experiencing the problem, can send me a message with the requested information, the hosting company will look more deeply into the problem.

I've also signed up with a service that will send me a text message if the entire site goes down.

Thanks!