Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Will the Dow Jones Crash by the end of 2019?

https://marketrealist.com/2019/10/will-the-dow-jones-crash-by-the-end-of-2019/

Will the Dow Jones Crash by the end of 2019?

The Dow Jones Industrial Index (or DJIA) is trading just 2.2% below its all-time high. But is the Dow Jones ETF (DIA) trading at a premium despite several macro-economic concerns? The Dow Jones Index is up 14.8% year-to-date and has gained over 50% in the last five years.

Comments

• YES !!! I know someone, who knows someone; who knows.......it is all in the global domination plan, don't you know.

Rated a 3 smiley face for sure.
  • edited October 2019
    I know a fellow named Catch22 who says that he knows a guy that really knows, and that guy says... Yes!!

@JohnN: Using advanced logic and mathematical analysis, since there are two answers to your question and they both say "yes", then the odds are obviously 100% that the answer is YES.

(Percentage of error in this poll is +/- 50%, unless maybe it is some other number.)
  • edited October 2019
    Some old gal at the gym says “No” - It’s onward and upward for the Dow. (She wears a MAGA cap which may influence her views)
  • edited October 2019
    Absolutely not. I'm 100% all in stocks (via mutual funds). This bull has another 15 years to run fueled by demographics and technology. Of course, there will be corrections along the way, some of them steep, which the doomsters will proclaim (as always) as the end of civilization, but I'm having none of that nonsense.

I believe right now is a great time to be buying risk assets - perhaps more so than in 2009. Stocks have essentially been building a mighty base over the last 18 months in preparation for an explosive move higher that will continue for years to come. As the stock market is the most efficient leading economic indicator, I simply cannot see a recession next year or for many years to come. A cursory glance at a basic S&P500, Dow, or Nasdaq chart supports this point of view. Are they collapsing or on a terminal downward spiral? No.

Note: I speak as a 53 year old with at least 10 years to retirement. My circumstances and outlook may be different to yours and I encourage some degree of diversification no matter your age.