Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

While you weren't looking the trade war with China went completely off the rails

edited November 2019 in Off-Topic
Time will tell but this sounds like where we may wind up as an election year approaches....
America's trade war with China has lost its way. Instead of pushing for structural change in China's managed economy, the Trump administration is currently negotiating to get US-China trade where it was before the war started. This story is starting to sound like a loop, and it's unclear how the Trump administration will get out of it.

Douglas Irwin, an economic historian at Dartmouth compared what the Trump administration is doing with trade war now to what the US did after it lost the War of 1812 to the British. When the war started, Americans claimed they would take territory from Canada, by the time the war ended in defeat Americans were reduced to touting the fact that they hadn't lost any territory.
https://insider.com/trump-trade-war-us-china-tariffs-lost-no-meaning-2019-11

Comments

• Assuming that it goes this route it will be interesting to see who will be blamed for the the reversal. I know who won't be admitting any responsibility.
  • It's not just trade wars. The entire United States is completely off the rails.
  • edited November 2019
    I do believe China can play the waiting game and trade with whomever in the mean time, whether they have shortages of some product right now or not. Their Belt and Road project has their fingers in many global pieces of the "pie". @Old_Joe would be in agreement with this, I do believe.
    I/we/this country may be engaged in being screwed without the pleasure of the climax for a very long time; as severe disruption in global "normal" channels are seriously injured from the D.C. area of the country.
  • edited November 2019
    But the stock market goes higher and higher with each new trade rumor.:)

Bill Fleckenstein put it this way Friday: “I'm sure this will come as a surprise to no one when I say that optimism over a ‘potential’ trade deal boosted the market through midday, this time to the tune of a little more than 0.5% (with the major averages hitting new all-time highs) .... I know I don't need to point out to anyone with a pulse that there have been no deals, and the potential deal continues to be smaller and smaller. Nonetheless, the stock market has a Pavlovian response to every single rumor that has a positive outcome ...”

(Excerpt from commentary published November 15, 2019) https://www.fleckensteincapital.com/home.aspx
  • Sorry, it's not a rumor - Larry Kudlow told on Friday - We're getting close. The market is manipulated by DT officials - one day trade war on track and the other day it is not.
  • Old_Joe said:

It's not just trade wars. The entire United States is completely off the rails.

+1

I still harbor suspicion that Tweety Amin, showman that he is, will do something -- even cave and claim 'victory' -- on the trade war sometime in 2020 just to make a desperate case for re-electing him for his 'expert' prowess in negotiations.

• That's for sure @rforno. As long as your brokerage account is larger everything is just peachy.
  • edited November 2019
    I suspect we will sign deals months before Nov 2020