Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

the power of click-bait journalism

2»

Comments

• edited December 2019
    Old_Joe said:

"what you want is largely unavailable in many towns and cities, though not all" Even in a city with the size and wealth of San Francisco it's becoming less and less available. The SF Chronicle, while still capable of some really excellent reporting, gets thinner and thinner by the week. It's gonna be a close call as to whether it lasts as long as I do.

Hell, you don’t know what “thin” is. Love the Chronicle - especially for the local color. Great Kindle daily at a ridiculously low $6.00 monthly. Unfortunately, time constraints necessitated dropping it recently when I added the FT to my subscriptions.

Yeah - I get your point OJ. But our weekly papers here both average 4-6 pages front to back. And the only section worth reading in the daily paper averages about 8 pages front to back. Some days less. Sorry I don’t share the affinity for Facebook some do. The findings of the Mueller Report (‘widespread and systematic (interference”) kinda bothered me. Not specific to Facebook of course. But makes me wonder & worry.

Going out to hang some outdoor lights!

Regards

• Gary said:

@davidrmoran " need to keep up with changing times" - I am too set in my ways to keep with changing times and it doesn't bother me one bit.

nothing to do with being set, just living in reality

you wrote:

I’d rather pay for a good daily newspaper containing all those listings, minutes of govt. meetings, upcoming ballot issues, polling places and election dates along with local sports and weather. Throw in some Letters To the Editor and lots of good in-depth investigative reporting.

wouldn't we all?

I was just pointing out that this largely does not exist anymore. Quite apart from our willingness to pay for it. I mean, we can all sit around waiting for doctors to make housecalls too.
  • Maybe not doctors, but milkmen (milkpeople?) are making a comeback.
    https://crescentridge.com/
  • A milk man delivered milk next door to me until the woman, age 93, died a couple of years ago. So there was milk delivery still available. We still have a postman that puts a pack across his back and walks door to door to house mounted mail boxes. The paper still delivers but I haven't seen any being delivered around me.
  • Yup, paper still delivered here also. 4 wheels instead of 2 !!
    Derf
  • edited December 2019
    On the subject of local papers, NYC’s Queens Daily Eagle on Thursday ran an interesting story (on page 3) regarding a former local resident.

https://queenseagle.com/all/2019/12/19/queens-man-impeached
  • msf
    edited December 2019
    Always nice to read stories with a hometown touch. I believe my high school math department chair used to live in the area. Great find!

BTW, the Queens Daily Eagle was just launched last year as a sister publication of the Brooklyn Daily Eagle. The original Brooklyn Daily Eagle was a major newspaper that like many papers of its time, folded in the middle of the last century. The current incarnation uses its name but is a completely different, smaller daily.
  • Yes, really a great find. The first person from Queens to be impeached!