Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

adding to wifey's Roth

edited February 2013 in Fund Discussions
Howdy folks,

Put wifey back to work this past year and she earned enough to contribute to her existing Roth. This is the one we moved to Fido a couple of years ago. The last moves I made allowed me to take a toehold in asia with MACSX. I'm looking to add to it and also buy a matching stake in MPACX. Both of their charts are lovelyhttp://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/advchart/frames/frames.asp?nosettings=1&symb=macsx&uf=8&type=2&size=2&sid=0&style=320&freq=1&entitlementtoken=0c33378313484ba9b46b8e24ded87dd6&time=8&rand=1839&compidx=aaaaa:0&ma=3&maval=50&lf=4&lf2=16&lf3=32&height=0&width=0&mocktick=1 and http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/advchart/frames/frames.asp?nosettings=1&symb=mpacx&uf=8&type=2&size=2&sid=0&style=320&freq=1&entitlementtoken=0c33378313484ba9b46b8e24ded87dd6&time=8&rand=1927&compidx=aaaaa:0&ma=3&maval=50&lf=4&lf2=16&lf3=32&height=0&width=0&mocktick=1

Much of the rest of this account is dividend centric with a bent towards natural resources and the core 10% PRPFX. w/ 32% NCV, 12% KMP, 13% BHP, 16% FSM.

thoughts?

peace,

rono

Comments

• rono, I suggest you explore another very good Matthews fund MCDFX which pays over 3.7 % with a low beta. It is pan Asia but concentrates on large dividend paying Chinese stocks. for Roth IRA this seems a good choice and I have been pleased with it. I also have equal amounts in mapix and macsx but in tax sheltered account the china dividend seems a wise choice. philpill
  • sorry, it is NOT PAN ASIA
    philpill
  • Reply to @philpill: Still stuck with Fundalarm board? I suggest next time you need correction, simply click the "Edit" link in your own posts and make changes and save the post.
  • Investor
    good suggestion, but I did not realize error until post post. what then?

I am very happy to be "still stuck with fundalarm," as it is , for me, the very finest information source on the Internet.

this side conversation is egregious.
  • Hi Phil,

Good point, but as you noted, both MACSX and MPACX are pan-Asian and this is important to me at this point in time. Most of the older 'asian' funds are ex-Japan due to their meltdown and lost decade. Any more, this is a bit out-of-date from my perspective.

And I still say that Matthews is the best house for Asia on the planet.

peace,

rono
  • edited February 2013
    PRPFX alone might constitute a good Roth IRA account for wifey. See here:
    http://investingforaliving.wordpress.com/2012/10/08/the-permanent-portfolio-the-best-alternative-to-ivy/

You're more knowledgeable about the miners than I am since I do not follow them closely at all but I might think about unloading that stake and putting it into PRPFX which holds the bullion anyway.

Also, dependent upon the size of your KMP stake you have to watch and make sure you do not exceed the UBTI level of $1000 in the account which triggers nasty tax stuff. I'd think about exchanging your KMP for KMR which is essential the same except distributions are distributed in the form of additional shares instead of cash and therefore not subject to UBTI. It's also available at a discount to KMP. FWIW, Mr. Kinder holds more KMR than KMP.
  • edited February 2013
    Reply to @philpill: That's what the "Edit" button is for. Suggest you download the user guide pdf, found under "Resources", above, to make best use of the MFO site.
    egregious |iˈgrējəs|
    adjective
    1 outstandingly bad; shocking : egregious abuses of copyright.
    Odd that you find someone offering a helpful hint to be "outstandingly bad" or even "shocking".
  • edited February 2013
    Reply to @Mark: I'll second KMR, which I own as a long-term holding.
  • edited February 2013
    Reply to @rono: "... Matthews is the best house for Asia on the planet."

Yep, you can say that again. (Matthews is the best ... yeh, yeh, just a figure of speech.)

I think that's a good plan, Rono. Balances emerging and developed Asia-Pac, and a value-ish strategy with a growthy one. I get Asia reports from time to time from a niece who's been working in China and SE Asia for a large U.S. corp for several years, and everything I hear says invest more in Asia, and in global franchises that have footholds there.
  • Reply to @AndyJ: "I get Asia reports from time to time from a niece who's been working in China and SE Asia for a large U.S. corp for several years, and everything I hear says invest more in Asia, and in global franchises that have footholds there."

Good to hear as I continue to add a bit here-and-there to Jardine Matheson (JMHLY.pk) and some other EM stuff.
  • edited February 2013
    Reply to @scott: I saw the other day that Jardine (I think both Matheson and Strategic?) have been on a tear lately. I'd read up on them a year or two back, but never hit the buy key. My loss ... like you've said here on occasion, they're a great candidate for a long-term hold.
  • Howdy,

Works for me, Mark - switching KMR for KMP. We've already got PRPFX in most of our accounts, so we're pretty good there.

peace,

rono
  • Reply to @philpill: that is exactly the use case for edit link. Take a look at your own posts in this thread. You will see an edit link in each. Click it. Make changes to text or if this is initial post of the thread even title and category. And save it. You are done!