Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The public/private message use here.....I don't want to know an email address, phone #s, or other

So, here's the deal. Two message formats are available at this forum.

When one clicks upon a user name here; you are taken to an activity page and a most tempting text box right in the middle of the screen. What a fine place to start typing away to send a message........NOT. Instead, just to the right, top of this first box is a clickable icon named "Message". This is what you want to use for a private message to whomever you've chosen.
If you type into the first text box just discussed and then click "Add Comment", the intended recipient will indeed receive the message posted to what is called "their wall"; but the message will also be posted to the public upon the "wall", which may be viewed by anyone when selecting a member name from the discussion area. These public wall messages are displayed just below the text box at the "activity" page. If no wall messages are present, the default text = "Not much happening here, yet." You may check your own wall by clicking upon your name in the discussion area.

'Course, I can't tell you not to post to a wall and the public; but you need to be aware of what is taking place.

I've read too many personal messages and sometimes; not so nice comments, writes that should have been private questions or statements; as well as phone numbers and email addresses. Interesting reading at times; but I don't have a "need to know".

This circumstance has been discussed with David, and approval of this post.

Take care,
Catch

Comments

• @Catch22; To have a "private conversation with a user", choose Message

To "post a public message" on someone's profile (Activity Wall), choose add comment.

Was this message above recently added ? Just curious after your post.

Derf
  • @Derf
    Are you asking whether I have a public or private from you?
    I do not.
    The only notification I received via email through MFO personal settings, is that you had commented upon my discussion.
  • @catch22: No to your question. Reread my post please. Didn't know there was a problem.
    Derf
  • @Derf- If you're asking whether the "message" option is a relatively new feature, no, it's not. It's been there since the beginning of MFO.

OJ
  • @Derf
    Yes, I did misunderstand your question. As @Old_Joe noted, that the feature has always been available; but from the public messages I have seen, I questioned whether everyone understood the difference between the two message types.
    Public messages posted on whomever's wall have contained private phone numbers and email addresses. Those messages have been deleted.
    Just try'in to be a good citizen here.
    Catch
  • Thanks OJ & catch I didn't realize that there was a problem.
    Derf
  • To be honest, I've never quite understood the benefit of posting a public message on someone's profile / "Activity Wall", or why anyone would want to. Like Catch22, I've stumbled on such messages from time to time, and seen messages between posters that I'd just as soon not be privy to.