Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Small Growth Fund

What does everyone like better FKASX vs. AOFAX?

Comments

• Both have loads which rules them out on principle for me. The Alger fund is closed. I like them both but prefer WAMCX because it has 15% in micro caps.
  • edited January 2020
    PRDSX, TRP fund. No load, a quant fund.
    1-year: 29.74%
    3 years: 14.24%
    5 years: 11.95%
    10 years: 14.99%

I've held it for several years. No plans to divest from it. It's true love. And you know, there's only two things that money can't buy: and that's true love and HOMEGROWN TOMATOES! Rest In Peace, Guy Clark. We miss ya.

• (Ya, those front-end-loads are absurd.)
  • I currently have AOFAX and these are both non loaded funds.
  • edited January 2020
    ????? AOFAX 5.25% load.
    AOFIX I see is no-load. Wonder why? Anyhow, it looks to be closed to new investors now..... And after looking again, so is AOFAX.
  • Agree with PRDSX. I have it in my T Rowe Roth IRA and won't sell it for at least ten more years as retirement approaches.
  • edited January 2020
    Hello, I own AOFAX and have been very happy with it; however, it is closed to new investors. I also own KAUAX which is a sister fund to FKASX. The reason I decided on KAUAX is that it has a wider spectrum of investment coverage and has representation in all the style boxes. FKASX is more aggressive with investment coverage in the small and mid cap spaces. One of the things I like about FKASX is that it engages in IPO's. I remember recently reading that about half of it current holdings came from IPO's that it had invested in. KAUAX offers some IPO coverage as well but not as much as FKASX. All three funds major sectors of investment focus are in the tech and health care areas for the most part. If you are wanting to stay in the Alger family of funds look at ALMAX. It is a good small mid cap growth fund and is open for new money. At one time I was thinking of splitting some of my AOFAX through a nav transfer into ALMAX. But, held off in doing this when AOFAX closed to new investors.

Remember, when members are signed in, one can click on the ticker symbols and a menu will appear of fund reports and links where one can gain more information about these funds.

• For what interest it holds, Wasatch Small-Cap Growth is the only SCG fund that's both a Great Owl (risk-adjusted, entire market cycle) and Honor Roll (total returns, 1,3,5 years) fund; it has the additional endorsement of Morningstar, which recently elevated it to "Gold."

The Wasatch site says the fund is closed "to most new investors through third party intermediaries" which suggests it might not be closed to direct investment.

• edited January 2020
    PSA: Many brokers offer AOFAX and FKASX load-waived...and many others as well. You have to check individually at your broker. (That’s usually why loaded funds are mentioned by posters... other than by @Old_Skeet, who buys A shares due to duration of having accounts and agreements with his broker.) Also, I class funds are mentioned bc some brokers/some accounts offer such funds at lower minimums. :)
  • DVSMX, managed by the same guys who have been very successful with Driehaus Micro Cap. DVSMX has been my best performing fund since I got in shortly after it opened.