Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Amazon delivery

Evidently Amazon has initiated a new delivery confirmation: their drivers are taking a picture of the delivered package as it was placed on your doorstep or porch. It's almost instantaneous- an email delivery notice with the picture is received within minutes of the delivery. If that package later disappears, at least everyone knows that it was delivered properly. This is likely only for deliveries made by Amazon directly- not by UPS or USPS.

Comments

• Err...this is not new actually. Been happening for a while.
  • edited January 2020
    Thanks for the heads-up OJ. So much depends on where you live. In rural settings in MI I’m not aware of any problems. But I can see where in large cities or in apartment buildings theft could be a major headache for both the occupants and Amazon.

On another note, the USPS appears to be getting its act in gear. I mailed my annual opt-out form (tax related) to TRP in Baltimore Dec. 31 via priority mail. The PS delivered it on the next business day, January 2. That’s amazing compared to a couple years back when it sometimes took a week or more for such a letter to be delivered.
  • @hank- Undoubtedly there will be performance variations in different areas, but we have found the USPS to be pretty darned solid for quite a number of years now.

@VintageFreak- Interesting. We use Amazon heavily- at least every couple of weeks, so I'm pretty certain that the pics are new around here.
  • I'm pretty sure that it is only when the Amazon trucks do the delivery.
  • I think is Anna is right. Quite a few times someone drives up in a car and delivers and I have not seen any photo notification then. I checked and the first time I got such notification was April 2019.
  • I happened to meet an Amazon driver at the head of our driveway and offered to take the package and save him the trip. He said he was required to take the photo of the package at the house.
  • Yes, there certainly seems to be a wide variation depending upon the delivery agent.