Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Want to Beat Boring CDs? Munis Can Be a Conservative Way to Increase Yield

https://www.kiplinger.com/article/retirement/T047-C032-S014-want-to-beat-boring-cds-munis-can-be-one-way.html

Want to Beat Boring CDs? Munis Can Be a Conservative Way to Increase Yield
Municipal bonds come with some risks that bank CDs don't, but there are ways to minimize them while still getting a better return. Plus, the interest you earn is tax free, and who doesn't love that?

Comments

• Some Munis can be a conservative way to increase yield, but you always have to balance yield, with total return, with tax implications. Many Munis are very risky from both an interest rate risk and credit risk, so as usual, it is somewhat difficult to generalize about how conservative the entire category of Munis is.
  • edited January 2020
    This was the key sentence for me.

"And over 90% of these bonds are AAA, AA, or A rated."

After watching "The Big Short", I say bulls***. IF you just said it is fund from Vanguard, duration approx 5 years and diversified with 9000 bonds, you had me. Then you add that sentence,...

Vanguard Prime Money Market. Fin.
  • "The Big Short" did indeed expose a big pile of "bulls***." Quite right. It was literally a broken, fraudulent System, then. Is it, still? Maybe it's a matter of degree?