Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Spew Alert: Wilbur Ross tells Maria, "Coronavirus good for U.S."

Well, you will judge for yourself with the below story; but I find this disgusting. Does Mr. Ross have a trade delegation visit to China on his immediate schedule?

NOTE: for below link, you may want to review the comments section at the end of the article.

A Gordon Gekko moment.

An embarrassed American citizen and military veteran,
Catch

Comments

• That's not the first time he put his foot in his mouth. Or he WOULD have, if he owned a conscience. Money is all they think about. Same ilk as the Orange Unit. Money is the metric by which they measure everything. Nothing else matters. People are just collateral damage to them.

• I can't stand that guy ... never could.
  • @crash why do we think he put his foot in his mouth. he is being honest about how he feels. i worry about those who think like him but don't say it.

at some level, i say the same about trump too. I would be more worried if he was doing things without saying them.
  • @VF - that's not how he feels, people like him and his ilk have no feels. Certainly none for anyone other than themselves. All they've ever known is entitlement.
  • @Mark What I meant was he is exposing himself for the a-hole he is. Not putting "foot in mouth" as in feeling ashamed or thinking he said anything wrong. That's all.

After all, all these guys are Objectivists masquerading as Capitalists. Not only do they think the way they do, because of Ayn Rand, it is now consider legitimate behavior.
  • @VintageFreak you said that perfectly! Thank you.
  • and now with a dictator-king
  • Some people only view things monetarily and some only politically.
  • Gary1952 said:

Some people only view things monetarily and some only politically.

And based on your posts on the "Off Topic" forum on the legacy Morningstar, your political views are vastly different from the majority on MFO.

• I didnt listen to the entire interview but the text of the article only says that he thinks it will help bring jobs back to the US.

The Commerce department followed up however with this:

"As Secretary Ross made clear the first step is to bring the virus under control and help the victims of this disease. It is also important to consider the ramifications of doing business with a country that has a long history of covering up real risks to its own people and the rest of the world. Fortunately, the Department of Commerce is equipped to support the American people and our businesses to do both"

The second sentence has to be considered close to absolute truth, but US companies doing business in China concern themselves with human rights working conditions and cornaviruses ONLY after things go down the tube. Look at Apple and Foxcon. The reason it costs more to build things in the US is because of worker's rights, better sanitation public health etc. We have laws regulating the marketing of wild live animals for human consumption. Perhaps American companies will now be willing to pay for these things

I doubt that the Trump administration believes much of the first statement other than a global recession would be bad for his re-election. They have cut scientific funding and the CDC staff drastically.

" Trump released his fiscal year 2020 federal budget proposal in March, recommending huge cuts across the federal government, including a 12 percent cut to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and a 10 percent cut for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention." see this link

http://thenationshealth.aphapublications.org/content/49/3/1.2

It is unclear what two tasks the Commerce department thinks it is well equipped to help with
    "bringing the virus under control" ? Very doubtful that is the job of the CDC. How would Commerce help?

"help victims of the disease" ? 99% of the victims are in China so maybe they are proposing a huge foreign aid package or more Chinese immigration??

"cover up the real risks to it own people and the rest of the world"? So Commerce is going to help with the cover up? Uncover the cover up??

• Mona said:

Gary1952 said:

And based on your posts on the "Off Topic" forum on the legacy Morningstar, your political views are vastly different from the majority on MFO.

What do you believe those to be ? (honest question)
  • Mona said:

Gary1952 said:

What do you believe those to be ? (honest question)
    Neither one of us were pleased with the Senate vote were we (another honest question)?

• edited January 2020
    Mona said:

Gary1952 said:

And the problem is? Intolerance? How can that possibly be from such a fair majority? I did not know MFO is a political site.
    But my previous post was not political. It was a statement that was really about money people.