Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

church investment fund had nearly $38 billion

edited March 2020 in Off-Topic
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/report-mormon-church-investment-fund-38-billion-69456874

Report: Mormon church investment fund had nearly $38 billion
A filing shows The Church of Jesus Chris of Latter-day Saints' largest investment fund had nearly $38 billion at the end of 2019

Tax free eh...wish had same portfolio tax free

Comments

• My own denomination is Presbyterian Church (USA.) Now, in retirement, I can breathe. It was never a great "marriage." But the denom. does indeed invest, to provide for yearly COLAs for those retired. And they are always needing to plan ahead and keep in mind the needs of FUTURE retirees. Also, a Minister in financial need can ask for help, too. I disagree with many of the church's internal policies. But I've borrowed and paid back the denomination's regional entity a couple of times. There are a number of "Presby Homes" which are truthfully no longer operated by the denomination --- apart from South Carolina, for some reason. With 20 years of ordained service, a Minister and spouse can live rather well in those places. Some offer assisted living units and medical care. Employees have to be paid, too. Individual congregations pay their pastors. In some very small churches, the Board gets assistance from the denomination at the national level. ... Tax free? Yes. But I wouldn't lose any sleep if it were otherwise.