Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Treasury and IRS to delay tax season deadline by 90 days

edited March 2020 in Off-Topic
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/03/17/treasury-and-irs-to-delay-tax-deadline-by-90-days.html

Treasury and IRS to delay tax season deadline by 90 days

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Tuesday that taxpayers can delay paying their income taxes on as much as $1 million in taxes owed for up to 90 days.
Ordinarily, individual income taxpayers must submit their 2019 tax returns by April 15. This delay would push the due date to July 15.
This relief is for federal returns. Double-check your state's tax deadlines to see if there are any delays

Yeahhhh..time to get those Heneiken kegs instead of paying taxes [or buy more guns as rono suggested]

Comments

• "Ordinarily, individual income taxpayers must submit their 2019 tax returns by April 15. This delay would push the due date to July 15."

Are you sure? The article says that taxpayers can delay payments up to 90 days, but it doesn't seem to say that filing can be delayed. This is something I'd wondered about, but not enough to research until now.

As seems all too common, the info put out by the federal government has been clear as mud. Here's a Business Insider column, updated just a few hours ago. The text reads:
    On Tuesday, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin announced during a White House briefing that the IRS will waive interest and penalty charges for 90 days ...; it's unclear at this time whether the IRS will officially extend that filing deadline as well.
    However, the apparently updated headline reads: "The tax-filing deadline will remain April 15, but the IRS will waive penalties and interest on tax payments for 90 days"
    https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/irs-to-extend-tax-filing-deadline-why-file-taxes-now-2020-3

Of course one can always file for an extension. Normally one would owe the taxes on April 15th even with an extension. That problem is unambiguously eliminated now, at least until July 14 (90 days past April 15th).

But taxpayers might have to proactively file for an extension.

Not a word about estimates due April 15th. For people in the gig economy, that's the bigger check to write.
  • Prob need drink couple heneiken file tax then send irs that 25k ck annually owed
  • edited March 2020
    And this is where that "free" $1000 rebate will go. Yippie. And where will the gov. Get all this? Can you say $25 trillion and counting?!?!
  • How typical to conflate "paying" with "filing". People that you'd expect to know better are among the worst.
  • The IRS finally issued its guidance as Notice 2020-17.
    https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-20-17.pdf

Payments may be delayed until July 15th, not 90 days as Mnuchin stated. Close enough for government work, I suppose.

Taxpayers are also allowed to defer their first quarter estimates until July 15th, though their second quarter estimates are still due a month earlier, on June 15th.

Still, "No extension is provided in this notice for ... the filing of any tax return."
  • edited March 2020
    @msf April 15, May 15, June 15, July 15. Wonder why you think this is not delayed by 90 days given each month in the middle has 30-31 days

Regardless my confusion is whether I can wait till July 15 to send check or I can wait till July 15 to FILE my taxes. These are two different things.
  • @msf April 15, May 15, June 15, July 15. Wonder why you think this is not delayed by 90 days given each month in the middle has 30-31 days

Regardless my confusion is whether I can wait till July 15 to send check or I can wait till July 15 to FILE my taxes. These are two different things.

Yeah, it's 91 days, but I bet they will honor a day early. As for your second query, rtfpdf?
  • Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Friday that Tax Day would be moved to July 15, giving Americans an additional three months to file their income tax returns.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/world/coronavirus-news.html
    Mr. Mnuchin said that the decision was made at the direction of President Trump.
    Of course. How obsequious.
  • edited March 2020
    Wouldn’t you lose money by waiting? If cash starts yielding negative returns, you’d be better off paying earlier before your cash loses value. Best case with prime money market funds is is that the sponsor will subsidize them by picking up the operating expenses, allowing them to pay you net 0.

OK - 90 days is long enough to buy a 90-day day CD. So perhaps you could earn 1-2% for 90 days. Let’s say 1.5%.

(This is a Later Correction) At 1.5% APR a 90-CD for $1000 should return you about $3.80 in interest - almost enough to cover the cost of mailing tax payment in by certified mail.

Sorry - I keep having to correct my post. Just occurred to me that the whole idea behind a prime money market fund is that they are supposed to maintain a stable $1 NAV ( or at least a stable NAV). So, no you shouldn’t lose money in one if the NAV is maintained. However, I do believe that the law allows the custodian to charge fees associated with such funds - most commonly an “account maintenance fee.” So, indirectly, you may lose money.

As always, my math is highly suspect . (But I can recite poetry really well):)