Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

First came the coronavirus test. Then came the medical bills

edited April 2020 in Off-Topic
https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/coronavirus-test-medical-bills/story?id=69923162

/First came the coronavirus test. Then came the medical bills
“I was under the assumption that all that would be covered.”/

Knock and beat them up while they are on the ground.
These folks/private insurance companies and med facilities are vicious. Many citizens are probably in similar boat and unable to afford payments for covid19 screenings /treatments. I suspect many family will get medical Bill's after their love one have passed

Comments

• edited April 2020
    My wife was tested for covid-19 a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately, she doesn't have it. (It took about a week to get the results.) We had understood Blue Cross/Medicare would pick up the tab for the test. But, we got a bill for about $250 for the test in the mail a couple of days ago. She is following up.
  • It really is unbelievable there should be a charge to help stem the tide of a pandemic with a test. How many people will be discouraged from taking the test as a result? This is one of those areas where capitalism fails to do the job and government intervention on a mass scale is needed. In fact, government intervention is needed to SAVE capitalism. If not enough people are tested and covid lingers as a result, it will kill business.
  • Howdy folks,

I think thisbcalls for a General Strike approach. No one pay any bills associated with the virus
    Put them All in dispute and force the government to waive them.

Fuck them.

And so it goes

Peace and Flatten the Curve

Rono
  • edited April 2020
    Just to provide a little color for our particular situation. My wife has a compromised immune system. She exhibited most of the symptoms for covid-19. She volunteers on a daily basis with a veterans group. She has frequent contact with a nearby VA home and other area veterans. Fifteen VA home residents have covid-19, 2 have died, and one provider has it.

Here is an uplifting story about a 104 year old resident there who beat it.

https://washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/04/03/veteran-survived-coronavirus/
  • edited April 2020
    The problem is I don't think the government can waive bills if you have private health insurance and use a private healthcare provider. The only way the public sector could probably waive such bills is for the insurer/doctor/hospital to take those billed to court and for a judge to waive the bills. Meanwhile, people's credit scores will be ruined for having a delinquent debt. These kinds of bills--$2,000 in this case--are disastrous in their implications. Who among the working class will want to go get tested if they have symptoms with a $2,000 tab waiting for them? How many more covid cases will go undiagnosed as a result?
  • edited April 2020
    How can we take drastic actions against Xi.. they are not transparent
  • I'm not sure how much flexibility the federal and state governments have, but they do have some power under their ability to regulate insurers. For example, if the USPSTF were to add a procedure (such as COVID-19 screening) to its list of preventive care, ACA-compliant insurers would have to cover it with no cost sharing.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/preventionthroughhealthcare/healthdepartments/services.htm

Both traditionally and under the McCarran-Ferguson Act, regulation of insurers, including rates, coverage, etc. has been left to the states.

Utilizing this regulatory power, NYS declared that:
    In order to ensure that cost-sharing is not a barrier to testing for COVID-19, [New York State Department of Financial Services] will promulgate an emergency regulation that:
    1. Prohibits health insurers from imposing cost-sharing on an in-network provider office visit or urgent care center when the purpose of the visit is to be tested for COVID-19.
    2. Prohibits health insurers from imposing cost-sharing on an emergency room visit when the purpose of the visit is to be tested for COVID-19.
    https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-new-directive-requiring-new-york-insurers-waive-cost-sharing
  • @MSF Interesting details, thanks. Do you know if other states are following suit? Also, I wonder if some insurers won't file lawsuits contesting this ruling down the road?
  • Wrong @JohnN, just wrong re: "china...communists liars"

Why damn a whole country? Why them? They may be communists (but check with the every day people first) and they may be liars (few saints on this side of the pond as well) but what exactly do they have to do with insurers in this country raping folks with the medical costs they throw at them? In my opinion your anger is misdirected.
  • Fyi, a certain type or types of CV tests have a significant false-neg rate, up to 30%. If you are symptomatic you should presume positive even with such a result. The other types of CV tests are said to be much better, though as with all tests none perfect. Don't know the details.
  • edited April 2020
    Hi Mark. Many people are probably very angry toward Chinese govt and was not forefront disclose of data that cause so much suffering / near world collapse past few wks...many my friends and family also very angry at president Xi/chinese govt...they should have giving more warnings early Jan . Chinese leadersioz/WHO downplayed whole thing...our govt and potus /Leaders were too busy we'd with other events and not taking drastic actions like S korean did.

• edited April 2020
    @Mark I think JohnN is just pulling a Ted and trying to be provocative.
  • MSF Interesting details, thanks. Do you know if other states are following suit? Also, I wonder if some insurers won't file lawsuits contesting this ruling down the road?

I can't believe I missed this, but Congress passed a bill, signed into law on March 18th, that provides for free testing at the national level. Insurance must cover free testing if someone is insured, Medicare Advantage cannot require prior authorization, CHIP, Medicare, Medicaid, TRICARE, VA must cover free testing, and the law allocates money for the federal services (like VA).

It allows (but doesn't seem to require) testing of the uninsured via Medicaid - the federal government would pick up 100% of the cost. At least if I'm reading this correctly.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/6201

The eight senators voting against it were: Blackburn (R-TN), Inhofe (R-OK), Johnson (R-WI), Lankford (R-OK), Lee (R-UT), Paul (R-KY), Sasse (R-NE), Scott (R-SC). Two senators didn't vote: Gardner (R-CO), Scott (R-FL)

Forty Republican representatives opposed the bill; nine Democrats and seventeen Republicans in the House didn't vote.

While virtually any law can be challenged, I have my doubts whether the insurance companies would dare put up a fight. The publicity would kill them.
  • @JohnN - again it is my opinion that your anger is misplaced. POTUS, your numnuts leader, has mocked and downplayed this disease from the beginning as the common cold, the common flu, a media or democratic hoax, pick your poison despite having better inside information. That approach has left his administration unprepared for the challenge ahead, whether it’s in the failure in testing (still a problem) or the administration’s inability to calm the public and markets as the novel coronavirus spreads. He owns that despite his claims to the contrary. Leaders in other countries, but not all, took what was happening seriously and were able to better control the outcomes.

Summary (From WHO International)
    • A pneumonia of unknown cause detected in Wuhan, China was first reported to the WHO Country Office in China on 31 December 2019.

• WHO is working 24/7 to analyse data, provide advice, coordinate with partners, help countries prepare, increase supplies and manage expert networks.

• The outbreak was declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on 30 January 2020.

Source: Rolling updates on coronavirus disease (COVID-19)

The Guardian begs to differ (The Guardian does note that they are unable to verify the Post report.)

Washington State Department of Health First case of 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the United States.

With respect to the costs to the American public in dealing with their health care providers you might find this article from the Australian bench of the NY Times of interest.

"The American system of private health insurance, with varying coverage and sometimes high premiums, deductibles or co-payments, is a stark contrast to the public systems in places like New Zealand, Australia and Britain, where government-subsidized access to doctors and many services is universal.

Some expats say their health insurance options in the United States are so poor that they have instead used travel insurance as their primary coverage. Others, like Ms. Inglis, have only the most basic level of health coverage in New York, but back home, that is not a consideration."

They Made New Lives in the U.S. The Coronavirus Sent Them Fleeing.
  • Do you think this guy missed the cutoff then? It seems the bill just went into effect:
    https://jacksonlewis.com/publication/new-employer-obligations-under-slightly-revised-families-first-coronavirus-act-hr-6201

Possibly. The article does mention the March 18th law (the ER visit/test was March 9). But it confuses matters by saying the test was free but the ER visit wasn't.

A problem is that this also violated NYS's rule #2 above - that ER visits for testing must be free. The NY announcement was on March 2nd, and where he went was "a hospital emergency room ... where he lives in upstate New York."

The article faults the [CPT] coding by the hospital (i.e. representing the visit as for something other than testing).

Fortunately, the NYS Attorney General's office has a fantastic Health Care Bureau whose function is to "safeguard[] the rights of health care consumers statewide through investigation of and enforcement actions against insurers, providers, drug companies and other individuals and entities that engage in fraudulent, misleading, deceptive, or illegal practices in the health care market." Highly competent, efficient, and trained to work with the ordinary person effectively as a patient advocate.

"In addition, the Bureau advocates for legislation and policy initiatives to enhance the rights of health care consumers and their ability to access quality, affordable care in New York State."

https://ag.ny.gov/bureau/health-care-bureau

• edited April 2020
    Thx for clarifications
    In Texas tests are free but you need to be screen before getting a code to be cleared. Test centers are also limited. It's much harder than getting 'cholesterol screenings' for sure.
  • edited April 2020
    @johnN
    I don't like to travel outside a thread subject, but this has already been moved along here.
    Regarding your statement about suffering; you need to spend time with the below movie. Watch it at least 2 times. Absorb all of the information. The main subject, of which; caused a great deal of suffering.

If you want an excellent overview of "who do you trust?", you absolutely need to watch the movie, The Post. And while you're at this subject, grab a copy of the book, "The Pentagon Papers". This book is readily available.
    SADLY, neither are a work of fiction.
  • I just talked to my wife about our bill. She spoke to Medicare. The test should have been covered in our case (Oregon). The doctors office will submit the bill again. Hopefully, it will process properly this time.
  • Howdy folks,

Somehow or another, a lot of people seem to think the US government is on their side and tells them the truth. ARE YOU SHITTING ME?!? Get a grip people.

My 'think like a mountain moment' was around the end of 1968 near Danang when I figured out that Washington was lying to all of us about the war. Growing up a Midwest boy in a Midwest town with a Midwest girl and a Midwest idea of patriotism - being an Eagle Scout and the whole damn nine yards, it was a shock to my system. I had to realign my patriotism to the people instead of Washington.

Washington hasn't been on your side for generations. Sr. Bush lied to us, so we elected Bubba, he lied to us so we elected Jr., he lied to us so we elected Obama and he lied to us so we elected Trump. Everyone one of those miserable SOB's in Washington is bought and paid for by big business lobbyists and they are your ENEMY. I said earlier, that 90% of all politicians are crooked BEFORE they're elected and of the 10% that mean well, 90% are corrupted before their first term is over. They're all treasonous scum.

Look to yourselves, your state and local governments and your universities 'cause there is no one else that really gives a shit.

Oh and before some Trump Foamer goes off on me, I'm 71 and have over 100 years of community and public service, and am presently in my second term as a Republican Township Trustee and I've never taken a GD dime from anyone.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono

• edited April 2020
    @rono
    My 'think like a mountain moment' was around the end of 1968 near Danang when I figured out that Washington was lying to all of us about the war. ...Washington hasn't been on your side for generations. Sr. Bush lied to us, so we elected Bubba, he lied to us so we elected Jr., he lied to us so we elected Obama and he lied to us so we elected Trump. Everyone one of those miserable SOB's in Washington is bought and paid for by big business lobbyists and they are your ENEMY.
    That's again too reductive. Washington is not a monolith that acts in unison. God, if anything has been made clear in recent decades, it's that. The same folks like yourself who say politicians are all corrupt and out to get you also complain that Washington "can't get anything done" because there's so much internecine fighting between parties. If they were all out to get you and working in unison in some conspiracy of lies, why can't they normally get anything done?

Also, the virtue of a democratic republic is that if you think a politician is corrupt and lying, you can vote them out of office and replace them. Yes, they are all tainted by money because that is how our broken system currenly malfunctions. But the answer is not to say they all stink. It's absurd, childish and really dangerous to think so. In fact, one party's wealthiest members want you to think that, and have succeeded in getting its base to think that as well. Try replacing an executive or changing their behavior in the corporate world if you think they're lying and corrupt and you are not a billionaire shareholder. Heck, try replacing an executive or stopping them from collecting immense sums as compensation for destroying a company even if you are a billionaire shareholder.

One person one vote is far superior for eliminating corruption than one share one vote in a "non-binding" election in which the wealthiest have the most shares. There are dedicated public servants in Washington today who are thwarted at every turn, and saying they all stink does not help them.
  • Howdy Lewis,

Your first point doesn't fly because you're assuming that if they were all corrupt they'd be working in unison. While this happens occasionally, most often it's by accident, or due to lobbyist pressure. BOTH parties in Washington are corrupt and have been for decades. Hell, they both outdone each other in fluffing Wall Street. Lobby dollars know no one party.

As to your second point, now you're just being silly. To say that we have free elections at the State or Federal level is idiotic. Ever hear of voter suppression? How about gerrymandering?

We used to have a democracy and a great country. We have shit today and we all know it..

And here's a prescription.

And so it goes

Rono
  • edited April 2020
    @rono Thanks for the represent.us link. It appears to be worth looking into.....
  • Howdy folks,

Here in Michigan we're working on a couple of these via referendum votes. In 2018 we passed 2 that were key. 1. Allowing absentee ballots for no reason. Geez, they just announced our May primary will be by mail. 2. Creating a commission to redraw all the voting districts to eliminate gerrymandering.

OoohRah Michigan

Now we need transparency on all political ads. We're never going to eliminate the money but can determine who's it is.

And so it goes

Rono
  • edited April 2020

180 polling places in Milwaukee down to 5. Again- voter suppression.

One person - one vote? Everyone has a right to vote, just not in Wisconsin (and so many other states).

Letters From an American
  • "Citing the intensifying threat of the virus, Evers on Monday afternoon had ordered the postponement of in-person voting and the receipt deadline for mail-in ballots to June 9.
    He said he made the decision to act unilaterally because of dire warnings by the White House over the weekend, when several Trump administration officials predicted that infections would worsen dramatically during the coming week. Mass cancellations by poll workers, and subsequent consolidation of voting sites, also diminished the prospect for safe elections, he said.

“At the end of the day, this is about the people of Wisconsin,” Evers said in an interview . “They frankly don’t care much about Republicans and Democrats fighting. They’re scared. We have the surgeon general saying this is Pearl Harbor. It’s time to act.”

Wisconsin Supreme Court blocks order by governor to stop Tuesday’s elections in state’s latest whipsaw
  • Hi @rono

Love ya, man...............the write with the Jeff Daniels video. I sent that video to many folks when that series aired. A think, think, think.

Best to you and yours,
    Catch
  • edited April 2020
    @rono My response to Aaron Sorkin via Jeff Daniels would be "OK, Boomer." I think the younger generation is actually well aware of America's many flaws, moreso actually than my own and certainly the boomers who are fundamentally the generation that has been most corrupted by the money in politics you're complaining about. This rather pat vision of a young "dumb blonde" sorority sister asking why is America the greatest is stereotypical and reductive as well. If only the great white male patriarchs Jeff Daniels/Aaron Sorkin could stear us in the right direction because we really don't see what's wrong! The point about too much money in politics, which almost every American is aware of--https://pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/05/08/most-americans-want-to-limit-campaign-spending-say-big-donors-have-greater-political-influence/--still doesn't mean there is some sort of moral equivalency between a rather boring public servant like Chuck Schumer and Donald Trump. There are people in Washington who are trying to make life better, despite the money in politics. They're not all the same and they're not all out to get you.
  • Maybe not but it's a pretty short list. One, maybe two hands ought to do it when counting from the pool of 435+100+1.