Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How Will We Know When It’s Time to Reopen the Nation? -- Four Benchmarks

Experts offer four benchmarks that can serve as a guide for cities and states, eliminating some of the guesswork:

Hospitals in the state must be able to safely treat all patients requiring hospitalization, without resorting to crisis standards of care.

A state needs to be able to test at least everyone who has symptoms.

The state is able to conduct monitoring of confirmed cases and contacts.

There must be a sustained reduction in cases for at least 14 days.

https://nytimes.com/2020/04/06/upshot/coronavirus-four-benchmarks-reopening.html

Comments

• Good information to have on hand. Thank you.
  • Sounds right.
  • Howdy folks,

Good stuff. THIS is what we all need to watch for while "translating" the news.

And so it goes

Peace and Flatten the Curve

Rono
  • I agree with this. Not reading the article (yet) this seems the the South Korea standard.
  • The below link ties in with davor's post and I don't know which write came first and this in not important. You may choose to spend a few minutes reading this too, as it may add to your knowledge, and we know and understand that knowledge is power.....in this case, more so to your safety, let alone "fake outs" with investments going forward.
    I've forwarded both of these writes to a few small business owners I know to help them sort out what still lies ahead for the broader consumer public.

Scientific American/John Hopkins write

A personal reflection regarding these two writes in this thread. The large impediment to the guideline suggestions in the articles is the continuing misdirection from Trump. He continues to cutoff reporters who pose valid and serious questions, and travels down a path not related. The deflection process. He also prevented Mr. Fauci from answering a scientific question. These press conferences as well as what I monitor at FOX news will continue to place society and ME (and family/friends) in harms way going forward. He (Trump), of course, continues to travel the path of "blow it out of your ass" and I believe he does fully understand his ignorance of so many things; and this is his "go to" and only path of existence. This ties to the so many who refuse to do any type of critical thinking about the pile of lies all day and every day. Very scary stuff continues into about 50% of the society.

On the brighter side, monitoring several Facebook pages of right wing folks I've known for many years, is that a few of them in the past 2 days have become "believers". A "damn", this isn't the regular FLU as I had been told and believed like a robot, without a critical thought in my head types. Apparently death around them has turned on the cranial light switch. Two in particular, are ages 74 and 72; and now realize that if they contract COVID, their chance of survival is very low to 0 !!!

Two 82 year old (aunt and uncle) returned in the last week from an infected Florida. Rather than isolate in their rural Michigan home; they had a welcome back gathering with 3 of their adult children and 6 grandkids. DAMN !!! No reports yet.

Lastly, IMHO; is that the misguided White House and friends are one of the most serious concerns about when anything will return to "kinda normal" without causing round 2 of the virus.
    Rant fini ..........
    Take care of you and yours,
    Catch
  • edited April 2020
    Related - 10 wks to crush the Curve NEMJ read.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2007263?query=featured_coronavirus

/Fight to win

The economy is in the tank, and anywhere from thousands to more than a million American lives are in jeopardy. Most analyses of options and trade-offs assume that both the pandemic and the economic setback must play out over a period of many months for the pandemic and even longer for economic recovery. However, as the economists would say, there is a dominant option, one that simultaneously limits fatalities and gets the economy cranking again in a sustainable way./

These ideas should be brought to potus and your local govt to hopefully have these ideas looked at/implemented to get over covid19 hump at mid/end of summer
  • @johnN et al

I salute the concept, BUT there's a problem with implementation.

The WHITE HOUSE zone.

We're still at the Twilight Zone, but edging into the Que sera, sera zone :

"Que sera, sera
    Whatever will be, will be
    The future's not ours to see
    Que sera, sera
    What will be, will be"
  • edited April 2020
    This quote about how to do implementation paints a useful mental picture (somewhat akin to Baby Steps):
    Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen of Denmark was more explicit: “It’s like walking a tightrope,” she said. “If we stand still, we may fall. If we go too fast, it may soon go wrong. We don’t know when we’ll be on firm ground again.”
    >

https://nytimes.com/2020/04/08/world/europe/coronavirus-lockdowns-restrictions.html
  • We are just now getting into the lifeboat; dry land is not in sight.