Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

WHOSX

Anyone invested in WHOSX (Wasatch Hosington Treasury Fund)? Any alternatives? Patrick

Comments

• EDV is s good alternative.
  • edited April 2020
    The entire investing world has been telling us to invest in short term bonds since the great recession. It pains me greatly to see how short term bonds have performed against long term bonds.

Of course I'm not invested in a fund that's returned 8% over 5, 10.5% over 10 and 8.5% over 15 years. Because I listen to reason and reason said if you owned long dated bonds in your portfolio then you are an idiot.

Well, fact of the matter is I AM an idiot, but for the exact opposite reason. As long as I do not invest in WHOSX, it will continue doing well.
  • edited April 2020
    @VintageFreak

…. As long as I do not invest in WHOSX, it will continue doing well.

You need a new avatar. Joe Btfsplk
  • beebee
    edited April 2020
    The entire investing world has been telling us to invest in short term bonds since the great recession. It pains me greatly to see how short term bonds have performed against long term bonds.
    @VintageFreak...Actually not true...at least one person has been advocating LT Treasuries for some time now.

https://mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/search?Page=p2&Search=kessler

• I looked at this last year and read all of Hunt's commentaries. Even before corona he believed that huge federal deficits will not cause inflation because the government will suck all of the credit out of the system the economy will not expand. Consequently interest rates will stay low or go lower.

If you believe this thesis there are far cheaper ways to implement it however. EDV and ZROZ have far lower ERs.
  • Hi @bee and @sma3

Bee, I recall you've long been aware of the possibilities of using EDV or related. Thank you for the link.

I place the below again from a March 20 post.

A few views from bondland:

DAY(March 20) / WEEK / YTD
    --- MINT = -1% / -3.6% / -4.1% (Pimco Enhanced short maturity)
    --- SHY = +.27% /+.24% / +2.5% (1-3 yr bills)
    --- IEI = +1.2% /+.7% /+5.2% (3-7 yr notes)
    --- IEF = +2.6% /+1.5% /+8.4% (7-10 yr notes)
    --- TLT = +7.5% / +3.6% /+18.1% (20+ Yr UST Bond
    --- EDV = +7.15% / -.23% / +19.8% (Vanguard extended duration gov't)
    --- ZROZ = +8.93% /+2.27% /+22.3% (UST., AAA, long duration zero coupon bonds)
    ***Other:
    --- HYG = -2.24% / -12.9 / -20% (high yield bonds, proxy ETF)
    --- LQD = +1.6% / -13.25% / -16.2% (corp. bonds, various quality)
    --- LTPZ = +12.3% /+4.3% / +3.5% (UST, long duration TIPs bonds

I had also previously noted that EDV, TLT and ZROZ can be very hot potatoes to manage and require a close watch and what may adjust their directions.

***** It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. *****

Henry David Thoreau

I personally adjust this, for investments, to; it matters to me where I look, as I want to "see" actions of other areas where I may never invest; but need to know the actions.

Take care,
    Catch

• Okay...

Everyone get together, whenever, and tell me when is a good time to buy WHOSX. I guarantee it F up the universe after I buy. I have superpowers of the wrong kind.

Robert Kessler - gotta hand it to him. My hope is when I retire it will be the right time to buy WHOSX because one is supposed to me more invested in bonds than stocks at that time.

• edited May 2020
    How many times have we all said: "Have a PLAN, and stick to it." That doesn't mean stick to it despite the fact that circumstances have fundamentally changed, of course. (I think the Zurich Axioms are a good touchstone.) And diversification is important, not over-diversifying so that the result is "di-worse-ification." Eh??? WHOSX? That fund is doing better than gangbusters, lately. AND back in 2019, too. The YTD gain on that thing is bigger than God's ego.
  • The problem is WHOSX did not have a chance to enter the "Plan" because everyone is guiding people toward short and ultrashort bond funds.