Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Seafarer Growth and Income fund

Portfolio Review - First Quarter 2020 is out. The outlook section might be of interest to some. Although Andrew does mention: my warning is not worth the time you took to read it. Paul Espinosa is also a portfolio manager but I am assuming that Andrew wrote the review (just a hunch).

http://www.seafarerfunds.com/funds/ogi/portfolio-review

Comments

• Thanks for posting, @ET91.
  • What a very well written and substantive letter. I wish I could see this every quarter from every mutual fund I own in a timely fashion. Well done Mr. Foster! Makes me feel at least comfortable with directing my investment dollars toward you and your company.
  • Nice one!
  • edited April 2020
    I bailed on SFGIX a couple of years ago. Foster is candid and seems to know his stuff, but it's been quite a laggard. So...
  • edited May 2020
    @Crash. You know what you might have done right thing. I've successfully transitioned to having a mercenary attitude toward funds. This argument about a funds "potential" is BS. People have to make decisions in the real world at a given point of time and don't have the benefit of hindsight. Shame on people like M* shaming people with "investors are effing stupid and always sell / buy at wrong time". They make their money publishing articles. We have to earn our money and then figure out how to grow it. They don't have to grow their money but grow their revenue stream. Easy to criticize investors and money managers when you are running a business to critique everyone.

You do what you think is right for you. Everyone else can take a flying F. It do own SFGIX because I'm still in the plus column.

PS - Finally feels good to have my single malt this weekend.
  • @Crash. You know what you might have done right thing. I've successfully transitioned to having a mercenary attitude toward funds. This argument about a funds "potential" is BS. People have to make decisions in the real world at a given point of time and don't have the benefit of hindsight. Shame on people like M* shaming people with "investors are effing stupid and always sell / buy at wrong time". They make their money publishing articles. We have to earn our money and then figure out how to grow it. They don't have to grow their money but grow their revenue stream. Easy to criticize investors and money managers when you are running a business to critique everyone.

You do what you think is right for you. Everyone else can take a flying F. It do own SFGIX because I'm still in the plus column.

PS - Finally feels good to have my single malt this weekend.

Even tonight, I see SFGIX is not doing badly compared to peers, lately. (YTD and 2019.) But as has been noted here often enough, that fund is a rare breed. Hard to compare it with the run of the mill stuff in that category.... My international stuff is virtually ALL in PRIDX these days, and foreign is a small slice now, and going forward, deliberately. (7% of total.) Single Malts. Now, yer talking! Limited selections around here, especially with the virus restricting everything. Lately, I've imbibed the Bushmills "Red Bush" variety of Irish whisky. I do believe it's smoother than the original. But I do miss a swig of The Balvenie. Liquor is so expensive here. The good news is: you can get it at the supermarket along with your eggs and butter and cheese and tofu. ;)
  • Ha, @Crash, you are showing an add for Bushmills from a store in my neighborhood, Lisa's Liquor Barn:) ...serendipity.