Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bottom Line Personal ... June 1, 2020 ... "Simplify Your Investment Mix" by: David Snowball

edited May 2020 in Fund Discussions
In this months edition of Bottom Line Personal MFO's David Snowball has a featured article titled: Simplify Your Investment Mix.

The bullet points of the article follow.

The articles covers, from his view, the advantages of streamlining ... Better Returns and Less Effort.

He offers up a one fund portfolio ... a two fund portfolio ... and, a three fund portfolio.

In the one fund portfolio he offers two fund choices: DODBX & VWINX.

In his two fund portfolio he offers both a basic and conservative route. The basic route contains the following fund choices. They are JENRX and HABDX. The conservative route is made up of PRBLX and FTBFX.

For his three fund portfolio he offers both a basic and conservative route. For the basic route he list the following funds. They are VDIGX, TROSX and DODLX. For the conservative route he uses PRDGX, TBGVX and PONRX.

The article covers suggested weightings along with some other comments.

Nice article for those that are wanting to streamline.

Old_Skeet

Comments

• Nice basic portfolios. I find it interesting that he selected DODBX over VWELX.

As I've written in other posts, 2020 skews the figures. A 6% performance difference YTD is enough to make VWELX look better over any time frame. But this is (we hope) a once in a century situation. Outside of this period, DODBX looks better. OTOH, what 2020 highlights is the higher risk inherent in D&C funds.

David Snowball perhaps addresses this in his sidebar on index funds: although not best in bad markets, good over the long term. The same could be said of D&C funds.

One small nit to pick: PONRX is a load fund. As it says in its prospectus: "distribution fees ... may cost you more than other types of sales charges, such as [front end loads]. Therefore, ... the distribution fees payable on ... Class R shares may, over time, cost you more than Class A [front end loads]".

Better to buy PONAX load waived. The embedded (level) load in PONRX is reflected in its lower Morningstar (retrospective) star rating and its lower Morningstar (prospective) medal rating.
  • I need help with my calendar. Or a working link.

Where I live it's only 20200524. And I can't find the article mentioned by Old Skeet.
  • same here. Typo?
  • edited May 2020
    Hi guys, I take the print edition and it might get released before the online one becomes available since it comes through the mail. Not a typo ... June 1, 2020 ... edition is correct.
  • Never knew there was a print edition.
  • Interesting that DODBX made the list in light of some of the controversy here around D&C funds (I say this as a current DODBX holder).
  • edited May 2020
    To be a winner when it comes to investing you do not have to have the absolute best funds, from my perspective, the steady Eddie funds will do. The goal is to grow your principal over time. For me, time invested is as important (maybe more so) than the investment vehicles that get you there. So, for some, the simplified portfolio's will work. However, as time goes by and the invested sums get larger I like to diversify fund manager and strategy risk through holding more funds. Therefore, I limit (percent wise) just how much of a fund, based upon it's type, I will hold within my portfolio.
  • With 10 year data as of June 30, 2019, John Rekenthaler at M* writes:
    [Relative figures]
    imageVanguard wins the risk-adjusted battle, while Dodge & Cox retains its total-return title. Thus, given my preference for total returns as the prime measure of success for nonleveraged portfolios (assuming the same asset class and roughly equal levels of risk), I give Dodge & Cox the overall nod. However, the contest was close. In none of the four cases would the Vanguard buyer have suffered anything more than modest regret.
    https://www.morningstar.com/articles/945008/be-thankful-that-you-dont-compete-against-vanguard
  • edited May 2020

Interesting that DODBX made the list in light of some of the controversy here around D&C funds (I say this as a current DODBX holder).

I can attest the controversy over Dodge & Cox has been around for a very long time. In the 90s and up to 2007 they were the darlings of the fund universe. From ‘07-‘09 they had lost their way - overly “bloated” and having made some “dumb” investments - including HP and the big banks. But when they rocketed back to the top of the herd beginning in 2009, they became the golden boys once again. Must be a tough life being a D&C fund.

Footnote : You might be surprised if you looked at how DODGX has performed since the market bottomed on / around March 20. (thru last Friday +26%)
    Old_Skeet said:

To be a winner when it comes to investing you do not have to have the absolute best funds, from my perspective, the steady Eddie funds will do. The goal is to grow your principal over time. For me, time invested is as important (maybe more so) than the investment vehicles that get you there. So, for some, the simplified portfolio's will work. However, as time goes by and the invested sums get larger I like to diversify fund manager and strategy risk through holding more funds. Therefore, I limit (percent wise) just how much of a fund, based upon it's type, I will hold within my portfolio.

Overall I agree with Ol’Skeet. Let me add that for a conservative (think older) investor to be a “winner” relatively speaking I’d say he / she needs to own some non-correlated assets. Since this invariably entails owning some “hot” sectors or funds along with some “stinkers” it’s not currently in vogue, never has been, nor will it ever be.

“But I repeat myself.” - Mark Twain

• @hank

>> You might be surprised if you looked at how DODGX has performed since the market bottomed on / around March 20. (thru last Friday +26%)

Huh? What's the surprise? Did I miss something, or did you mean meh meh ?
    M* old-style graph from 3/20 to date shows $10k rising to $12,157 vs SP500 $12,312 vs VONG $12,935.

Second, what's the goldenness from early Jan 09 onward? They lag SP500 hugely to date, of course, with this latest plunge + partial bounceback ... so lemme check prior endpoints. Nope. Some spans lag, some outperform, the 5y point (1/14) may be the most marked, but still meh if one held on.
    Are we looking at the same graphs?

I love Rekenthaler's analyses and digging, and I am slowly coming around to embracing Vanguard more, but D&C still remain well off any lists of mine.
  • msf
    edited May 2020

Second, what's the goldenness from early Jan 09 onward?

He used a standardized period starting July 1, 2009. Perhaps that was not crystal clear in the text, but he compared 10 year performance ending, as indicated in the chart, on June 30th. That was the latest standardized period as of the date of the column, Sept 6, 2019.

Standardized periods are used (and mandated by the SEC for advertising) to eliminate cherry picking. Of course a single time frame would still be subject to luck of the draw - a fact you recognize below in looking at multiple periods.

There's another part of what he did that you didn't mention or question. Why 10 years? Conventional wisdom is that one should not invest in equity for shorter time periods. Because of random market cycles, recessions, etc., it can take that long to work through a 1-3 year "glitch" in the markets.

They lag SP500 hugely to date, of course, with this latest plunge + partial bounceback ... so lemme check prior endpoints. Nope. Some spans lag, some outperform, the 5y point (1/14) may be the most marked, but still meh if one held on.
    Are we looking at the same graphs?

Sometimes I wonder:-). I looked at all rolling 10 year periods (calendar aligned) since VBINX began in late 1992. That means periods starting with 1993-2002 inclusive, and ending with 2010-2019.

DODBX so outperformed VBINX prior to the 2000-2002 decline that it maintained its superior performance (over rolling 10 year periods) even incorporating this timespan until 2008 came along. One can see that work its way through the figures, as VBINX showed better 10 year performance figures for five periods, 2003-2012 through 2007-2016.

But DODBX's superior up market performance gradually won out, as it had a better 10 year period 2008-2017. That still included the 2008 market and illustrates why it helps to have patience in the market. Of course DODBX did markedly better in 2009-2018 once 2008 dropped out of the 10 year span. It also had measurably better performance than VBINX in 2010-2019.

Here's a link to the M* chart I used. Just shift the starting and ending years back by the same amount to get each of the time rolling 10 year periods.
    Ending	DODBX		VBINX			DODBX	VBINX	Vanguard
    better
    2002 $31,694.86 $24,760.51 12.23% 9.49%
    2003 $33,110.62 $24,338.11 12.72% 9.30%
    2004 $36,910.11 $27,029.50 13.95% 10.45%
    2005 $30,731.67 $21,988.23 11.88% 8.20%
    2006 $30,192.64 $21,240.21 11.68% 7.82%
    2007 $25,702.73 $18,639.66 9.90% 6.43%
    2008 $16,013.00 $12,314.30 4.82% 2.10%
    2009 $18,324.21 $13,022.55 6.24% 2.68%
    2010 $17,795.19 $14,986.11 5.93% 4.13%
    2011 $15,883.06 $16,019.47 4.74% 4.82%
    2012 $19,437.25 $19,811.94 6.87% 7.08% *
    2013 $20,042.23 $19,476.41 7.20% 6.89% *
    2014 $19,204.01 $19,557.82 6.74% 6.94% *
    2015 $17,511.22 $18,767.06 5.76% 6.50% *
    2016 $17,927.61 $18,363.16 6.01% 6.27% *
    2017 $19,768.25 $19,622.84 7.05% 6.97%
    2018 $28,627.38 $24,767.53 11.09% 9.49%
    2019 $26,333.86 $24,696.26 10.17% 9.46%
  • edited May 2020
    @davidrmoran - Here’s what I get this morning looking at Yahoo Finance (cross-checked NAV with MarketWatch). My mathematical skills are always suspect, so others may have a better way to compute DODGX’s gain.

Closing price DODGX 3/20/2020: $122.40

Closing price: Friday, May 22, 2020: $151.57

Increase in NAV: +23.81%

Dividend paid March 26: $2.80 per share

Increase including dividend: Approximately 26%

If the above doesn’t satisfy, try running the numbers from the next trade-date, Monday March 23, when DODGX closed at $118.38

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/DODGX/performance/
    -

@Davidrmoran said: “Second, what's the goldenness from early Jan 09 onward ” They lag SP500 hugely to date “ David, I’m not sure whether you purposely misrepresented my remark or perhaps, I needed to add some additional qualifiers to the statement. I thought that within the context, it was concrete enough. As you are no doubt aware, comments like that need to be considered in light of the context in which they appear.

The whole point I was making is that D&C funds tend to have erratic (roller coaster) patterns of performance. So, my comment “when they rocketed back to the top of the herd beginning in 2009, they became the golden boys once again” was meant to refer to another sharp reversal in performance which lasted several years. Obviously, that “golden boys” moniker no longer applied in recent years. If it had, we wouldn’t be discussing a remark like @Shostakovich‘s “in light of some of the controversy here around D&C funds”. You don’t see that during the hot performance periods.. More likely, people are asking whether thay can buy D&C funds NTF.

“S&P 500”? Where did that come in? I thought we were discussing actively managed funds.
    No dispute that if you could buy past performance, the S&P500 would be a better investment than most actively managed funds - at least since sometime in the ‘90s. I suspect by now that’s included in high school history books.
  • No math required. Just go to

https://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fund/chart.action?t=dodgx

as long as it is still active, and put in any start and end dates you like --- including multiple 10y periods too! No math required. It shows what I posted:

\\\ M* old-style graph from 3/20 to date shows $10k rising to $12,157 vs SP500 $12,312 vs VONG $12,935.

For which to me the only surprise is how meh it remains. So I could not understand what you wrote. Still can't.

No misrepresentation either; honest puzzlement at "But when they rocketed back to the top of the herd beginning in 2009, they became the golden boys once again." I am not seeing it for that event. That's all, nothing more.

And again, yes, I almost never look at 10y periods alone; every time I post, about, I have looked at and mentioned 9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2y performance, also longer, also with earlier endpoints than the present.
  • I have discussed D&C inferior risk/reward. I would not select any of their funds.
    Why would I look what DODGX did since the bottom?
    YTD...VFIAX(SP500) is at -7.8% while DODGX is at -20.2%
    One year...VFIAX 5.5%...DODGX-10.9%
    3 year........VFIAX 9.4%...DODGX 1.4%
    VFIAX continues to beat DODGX for 5-10-15 years and with better SD, Sharpe,Sortino. See 15 years PV(link). How long can you underperform + have higher volatility and claim that you are OK because you can't compare DODGX to the SP500?

For moderate allocation, I would look at PRWCX,VLAIX. VLAIX has more mid-cap and higher rated bonds so owning both is a good choice.
    For conservative allocation, VWIAX/VWINX is a good choice.
  • edited May 2020
    @davidrmoran. Thanks for the reasoned response. Sorry for any sparks directed in your direction. I thought the board could use some livening up this morning - but it was a bit over the top. No idea why your sources and my numbers disagree. I’ll go by those reported closing prices - and I gets what I gets.

BTW - I’d been offloading DODIX back at the time because I felt with the 10 year somewhere around 0.50% it no longer made sense to include it in my “cash” sleeve where I’d been using it. Was down to “pennies” (figuratively speaking) in DODIX on March 20 and decided to lob the remainder into DODGX - a fund normally well outside my risk tolerance zone. It’s treated me well since the 20th of March. In no hurry to unload it.
  • >> I’ll go by those reported closing prices - and I gets what I gets.

Per M*, your conclusion is erroneous, and from close 3/20 to close last Fri it is up ~21.57%. ~$155 lower than SP500 on $10k.

Suggest learning to enjoy this:

https://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fund/chart.action?t=dodgx

Although perhaps it's wrong somehow.