Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Threat of Military Action Rattles Brazil as Virus Deaths Surge

edited June 2020 in Off-Topic
“As Brazil reels from its worst crisis in decades, President Bolsonaro and his allies are using the prospect of military intervention to protect his grip on power.”

Brazil is by far the largest Latin American economy. If you’re like me, you’ve likely flown dozens of times on one of the Embraer commuter jets that regularity service smaller U.S. airports and is manufactured in Brazil. For fun, I bought a little PRLAX (mostly Brazil, Mexico) when it was down 50% YTD late March / early April. After today it will probably be down only 40%:). Aside from such play money, the stability of Brazil has implications for the U.S.

“ Mr. Bolsonaro also shifted leadership of the pandemic response to another general, Walter Souza Braga Netto, his chief of staff. Sidelined and balking at expanding the use of hydroxychloroquine, a malaria drug promoted by Mr. Bolsonaro that has not been proven effective against the virus, the health minister was replaced. His successor lasted only a few weeks until he resigned, replaced by an army general, Eduardo Pazuello. One former official in the health ministry said the abrupt changes created a sense of chaos within the agency, resulting in weeks of dysfunction and paralysis at the most crucial time — when the country should have been fighting the uncontrolled spread of the virus.”

From NYT 6/10/20. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/10/world/americas/bolsonaro-coup-coronavirus-brazil.html

Comments

• There are often good reasons some emerging markets never graduate. Generals are one of them.
  • Bolsanaro makes our nut wannabe dictator of a president seem sane by comparison. Bolsanaro's a real dictator in the making. Ours is just a reality TV version.
  • Bolsanaro makes our nut wannabe dictator of a president seem sane by comparison. Bolsanaro's a real dictator in the making. Ours is just a reality TV version.

Not sure I agree ... But that must be what O’Connell and buddies are banking on. I agree Trump wouldn’t cut a very appealing figure decked out in a military uniform.

Than again ... who knows?
  • ?

I know. Others know. Anyone who reads or knows about our battered system knows.

LA evil actors, like their peers elsewhere, are on the varsity. Not our destructive doofus.
  • hank said:

Bolsanaro makes our nut wannabe dictator of a president seem sane by comparison. Bolsanaro's a real dictator in the making. Ours is just a reality TV version.

Not sure I agree ... But that must be what O’Connell and buddies are banking on. I agree Trump wouldn’t cut a very appealing figure decked out in a military uniform.

Than again ... who knows?
    I am suddenly reminded of the Nixon White House guard's uniforms
  • What makes anyone think that Bolsonaro wouldn't welcome a "military coup"? Likely he'd still be the head man, without all of that "democracy stuff" to interfere.
  • Bolsonaro quotes: https://france24.com/en/20180930-brazil-presidential-candidate-bolsonaros-most-controversial-quotes
    Ahead of the October 7 election first round, AFP takes a look at some of 63-year-old's most eye-catching comments.

- Torture -

-- "The dictatorship's mistake was to torture but not kill." -- Interview with Jovem Pan radio station, June 2016.

- "During the dictatorship, they should have shot 30,000 corrupt people, starting with the (then) President Fernando Henrique Cardoso, which would have been a great gain for the nation." -- Guotes carried by TV Bandeirantes, May 1999.

-- "For the memory of colonel Carlos Alberto Brilhante Ustra, the terror of Rousseff... my vote is yes!" -- After voting in favor of impeaching then-president Dilma Rousseff, a former guerrilla who was tortured under the military dictatorship, Bolsonaro dedicated his vote to retired colonel Ustra, the former head of the military dictatorship's intelligence services accused of having killed at least six people under torture.

- Killing -

-- "We're going to shoot the PT supporters in Acre." -- During a Workers' Party (PT) electoral meeting in the western state on September 1. His communications department subsequently said: "it was a joke, as always."

- Religion -

-- "God above all. This history of a secular state doesn't exist, no. The state is Christian and those who are against it can leave. The minority must bow to the majority." -- A meeting in Paraiba, February 2017.

- Race -

-- "I went to a quilombola (a settlement of African slave descendants) in Eldorado Paulista. The lightest Afro-descendent weighed seven arrobas (around 80 kilograms, 225 pounds). They don't do anything. They're no use even to procreate." -- During a conference at Rio de Janeiro's Hebrew Club following a visit to a quilombola.

-- "Preta, I'm not going to talk about promiscuity with anyone. I won't run that risk, because my sons were brought up very well and they haven't lived in environments such as is, unfortunately, yours." -- When singer and presenter Preta Gil, the daughter of renowned musician Gilberto Gil, asked him on TV Bandeirantes in March 2011 how he would react if one of his sons fell in love with a black woman. Later, Bolsonaro said he'd misheard the question and thought it referred to a possible homosexual relationship.

- Women -

-- "It saddens me to see the entrepreneurial world in Brazil, because it's a misfortune to be a boss in our country, with so many labor laws. Between a man and a young woman, what will the entrepreneur think? 'Damn, this woman's got a ring on her finger, she'll be pregnant soon, she'll be on maternity leave for six months...' Who's going to pay the bill? The employer. In the end it's deducted from social security but the work rhythm is broken. And when she returns, she'll take a month-long vacation. In the end, she works five months in one year." -- Interview with Zero Hora newspaper, December 2014.

- Rape -

-- "She doesn't deserve to be raped because she's very ugly. She's not my type, I'd never rape her. I'm not a rapist, but if I was, I wouldn't rape her because she doesn't deserve it." -- Bolsonaro speaking to Zero Hora in December 2014, explaining why he previously told leftist deputy, Maria do Rosario: "I wouldn't rape you, you don't deserve it."

- Homosexuals -

-- "I wouldn't be able to love a gay son. I wouldn't be a hypocrite, I'd prefer a son to die in an accident than appear with a moustacho." -- Interview with Playboy magazine, June 2011
  • Makes our jewel look like a fake.