Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Thanks! I can't believe I wasn't aware of his many years of writing. Sounds very much like his father.
  • Dang you msf, who was his father?

OJ - does he write for the Chronicle?
  • If that last name rings a bell with readers, that’s because Nick is the son of the late Chronicle columnist Art Hoppe.

Born and raised in San Francisco, Nick runs his own restaurant and retail business and lives with his wife in Mill Valley.
    https://www.sfgate.com/author/nick-hoppe-/
  • edited September 2020
    Nick Hoppe is the son of Art Hoppe, who was a San Francisco Chronicle columnist for many years. Nick is a Bay Area businessman who previously also wrote a weekly column for the Chron, but as the paper has steadily reduced it's print content he is no longer found there.

His writing style is very similar to his father's, and he now posts an occasional column on-line, just for something to do, I suppose. I've corresponded with him occasionally by email, and he's a really nice fellow. His sense of humor and the absurd is very similar to mine.

Contact Nick at [email protected].
    For past issues, visit this link.
  • Thank you both. I loved reading the Chron, especially Jon Carroll. I do recall Art Hoppe now.
  • Yes, Jon was a favorite also. He is now retired- for a while he also posted an occasional on-line commentary, but he hasn't done that in quite a while now. IMHO the remaining Chron columnists are mostly second-rate politically-correct hacks. There's actually no one there that I read very often.