Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

For What Interest It May Hold - Chart of Dow YTD

edited October 2020 in Other Investing

Comments

• The tekkie ones would say we're due for a leg upward soon, eh? Which will surpass the 2nd high point from early October and even earlier, around Labor Day. ...Eh?
  • Hi @hank

As always, depends where the monies are invested, eh? Just a look with a few choices below. Most bonds are doing okay for the year, in spite of weakness since early September. With the equity markets whack this past week, AAA bonds did not find love in support of what one would expect to be a move to safety; or perhaps the support was there and AAA bond prices would have been much lower for the week. Hoping the magic 8 ball is not in need of bench testing for eminent failure.

CHART , YTD for EDV, IEF, LQD, BAGIX, SPY and QQQ. The chart YTD total returns match M* data through Oct. 30.

Your snow shovel is tuned up, yes?

Take care,
    Catch
  • edited October 2020
    Hi Catch -

When I need a quick “reality check” I sometimes pull up the DJI or similar chart. Of course, experienced market watchers know that the Dow is hardly representative of the broader market. In yesterday’s case, the quick glance was enough to convince me that equities aren’t the “screaming buy” they were in back March. So, I didn’t succumb to the temptation to throw money at the beast.

A surprise yesterday was that DODBX gained 0.35% in what was overall a falling market. Worth noting : HY and shorter maturities held up pretty well, while long-term rates rose enough to help the banks and other financials.

Yes, I hear there’s snow forecast for Sunday in northern Michigan, followed by a warming trend.