Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

We're saved! WE'RE SAVED!! WE'RE SAVED!!!

Comments

• Think of Smeagol as America and Gollum as el Grande Jefe:

• msf
    edited November 2020
    I may be saved, but I'm not so sure about OJ, where voters:

- appear to be rejecting the idea of regularly assessing commercial property (technically commercial property virtually never changes hands so it never gets reassessed under Prop 13, unlike residential property), though too close to call - Prop 15
    - rejected the idea that Uber drivers should get employee protections - Prop 22
    - rejected allowing localities to help long term renters with rent control - Prop 21
    - rejected expanding voter rights by letting 17 year olds vote in primaries if they'd be 18 by election day - Prop 18
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/11/03/us/elections/results-california.html

And as usual for Calif., there's a huge proposition making lots of changes, some good, some not. Usually such propositions fail, simply because people don't understand what's in them. This one passed, making me suspicious of how much money got poured into one side. It looks like it was put on the ballot by one individual, who financed the collection of signatures and financed virtually all of the Yes spending. - Prop 24.
    https://ballotpedia.org/California_Proposition_24,_Consumer_Personal_Information_Law_and_Agency_Initiative_(2020)

California proposition voting is often rather restrained, with props that everyone likes being passed, but having a mixed record on leading edge issues. This year does not appear to be one where the voting supported the "common man".
  • I feel like I can breathe again. What a great day in US history.
  • edited November 2020
    At this moment Fox is displaying “BIDEN ELECTED 46th PRESIDENT“ on-screen and featuring the fireworks and music from Wilmington, DE, having just aired Biden and Harris’s speeches in entirety. (One of Biden’s better speeches and delivery).

Trump has to be steaming ...
  • I found myself thinking the same thing. Sitting inside, watching the TV and looking around at the walls, realizing that he's gone, even though he can't bring himself to say that out loud.
  • I'll say it for him if necessary.