Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Windows laptops

I'm not terribly versed in the Windows world. Are laptops from Lenovo or ASUS worthwhile for the casual user to consider over competing laptops from the likes of Dell or HP?

Can a person buy MS Office outright these days or is this subscription business the only way to go? I miss the old days and actual paper manuals. Boomer here in case you haven't guessed.

TIA for any assistance.

Comments

• edited January 2021
    Lenovo used to be good--basically IBM's laptop division which they sold. I'm not sure if they're still good. Asus I dislike. You can get a "lifetime download" for MS Office without subscriptions: https://amazon.com/s?k=ms+office&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
    Although i would recommend buying from Microsoft directly in this case: https://microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/p/office-home-student-2019/cfq7ttc0k7c8/?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab
  • HI Mark,

I'm cheap and bought an Acer Swift 3 and love it.

r
  • I'm cheaper and a tech-luddite so I use an Acer Chromebook !
  • edited January 2021
    @Mark,

Are you upgrade your old Windows PC ? From my perspective, PCs are PCs especially those from the white box companies. There is little performance and reliability differences between them. They are built to last 2-3 years since they use inexpensive components so they can be had for $1,000. The other pertinent question is what kind of usage you need from the PC. I like to buy a bit more (1-terabyte hard drive, 500 GB solid state drive, and a minimum 16GM) from the basic model.

Since you asked about the new MS Office, they are now on subscription-based, "Office 365" with an annual fee. Depending on how old the version of Office you have, it may work on Windows 10 PC. I believe Office 2008 works fine, but the support ended last
    year.

I would check out Costco and Best Buys. Beware that laptops are in demand because many people are working from home. Desktop PCs are not as popular and likely you can find them easier at better price point.
  • Lenovos aren't that expensive, especially if you buy refurbished ones, which still come with the company warranty: https://lenovo.com/us/en/outletus/laptops/c/LAPTOPS
  • edited February 2021
    @Sven - I'm not upgrading really but maybe I am. I don't really use my Dell/Windows tower much except for business reports and files that I used to write for clients and my tax filings. These things (MS Office and TurboTax software programs) seemed to run better on MS-related computers than their jiggered-for-Mac siblings. (I'm mostly a Mac fanatic because thats what I used all through grad school). Almost all of my business clients are Windows people so rather than going through all the document converting heeby-jeebies I found it more efficient to just have a Windows based computer.

I haven't kept up with it as I've slowly trekked into retirement but when I filed last years taxes all the sirens kept going off telling me that I was only using Windows 7 and there were no further security updates coming blah-blah-blah. Since I want to keep all the reports and files from my business current I can either upgrade my 5-7 year old tower with a version of Windows 10 or I can just get a new computer. I think my MS Office software is 2007-2008.

I don't need all the latest and greatest and probably wouldn't know what to do with it if I had it. I don't need gaming bells and whistles performance enhancements either. I'll most likely spend most of my time on my 2020 MacBook Pro anyway but in case someone offers me enough money to do a consulting job here or there it would be nice to not look like the old boomer fool that I am. That's where I'm at.

Thank you and @Lewis for your assistance.
  • edited February 2021
    @Mark,
    At work I use Windows 10 exclusively with Office 365. At home, I run Windows 10, Mac OS and Linux. My astrophotography hobby require all three operating systems. Like you I use Mac 70-80% at home with Office 2016 (for Mac) and iWork (equivalent to Office with Pages, Numbers, and Keynote) and TurboTax.

Several operating system: hardware, operating system, and applications

Windows 7 is no longer supported for security patches several years ago. Your desire to use Windows in the future will require you to get a new Windows 10 computer for security reason. A new laptop makes sense and a simple Windows 10 machine will serve your purpose. @LewisBraham has good recommendation on Levovo laptops.

On the software side, Office 2007 support ended in 2017.
    https://gravoc.com/2017/08/31/microsoft-office-2007-approaches-end-of-life/
    You can research at Microsoft support site to find out whether Office 2007 will run on Windows 10 operating system. My guess is yes, but there will be no update/support. Words and Excel don't have many major bugs that need updating in my experience. If you have access to a Windows 10 computer, I would try to run a 2007 Words document as a test. If it runs fine, then you got your answer. Same goes for other applications such as Excel, PowerPoint and TurboTax.

Actually people don't worry about whether you are running Mac or PC these days. It is the products/service you provide that matter.
  • Hi Mark,
    I recall that Windows 7 upgrades/support officially ended Jan 14., 2020.
    BIG NOTE: because of this, the two major tax software companies; HR Block and TurboTax for the 2020 tax return season will no longer load into a Windows 7 device (this should be noted in tax software requirements/restrictions).

One can attempt upgrading a Win7 system to Win10 via a download or buy a Win10 unit.
    There was a free upgrade period that is now gone (are ways to still obtain free, see link below); or $119 purchase.
    Anyhoo,........time to purchase a new laptop here and things worked out with the below purchase info for us.

I'm writing this on a 8 year old HP laptop with Win7. However, even with the supply levels of new pc's getting hit this past year from the "at home" needs, I was able to obtain a nice HP from HSN for $742. $42 is the MI tax.....$700 laptop, free ship.
    New HP, a few specs, SELECT the 1014ds, if you choose to view some info.

Win7 upgrade, some info from MS site.

• I'm a Mac person myself, but I just checked Costco for you neanderthals. They have quite an assortment of Windows 10 laptops. Here are just three, at random:

$299 (HP 14" Laptop Intel Pentium - Windows 10 in S Mode - 1080p - Microsoft 365 Personal (1-Year Subscription)

$649.99- (New Microsoft Surface Go 2 Bundle - Intel Pentium - 1920 x 1280 Display - Windows 10 in S Mode )

$749.99- (New Microsoft Surface Laptop Go - 10th Gen Intel Core i5-1035G1 - 1536 x 1024 Display - Windows 10 in S Mode - Platinum)

I have no idea what "S mode" means... "subscription", maybe?

• Hi @Old_Joe et al
    About Windows 10 in S mode
    Windows 10 in S mode is a version of Windows 10 that's streamlined for security and performance, while providing a familiar Windows experience. To increase security, it allows only apps from the Microsoft Store, and requires Microsoft Edge for safe browsing.
    Not a fair comparison.............but, could be like a 1980's Yugo. It looks like a car, seems to drive like a car; but repair parts are only available from an authorized source, as the source deems appropriate. The owner is limited to using Yugo branded fuel, oil, filters, tires and other branded items to numerous to mention here.:)
    Your satisfaction may vary; with satisfaction levels neither guaranteed or implied.
  • @catch22 : Inquiring minds want to know, at least mine. Dig out your magnifying glass, if need be & look to see when your unit was made . The last PC I purchased was a cheap O & later I found out why. It was glad to be removed from the warehouse & put on the shelf for "SALE" Seems to me it was at least 4 years old , but as far as I was concerned it got the job done.
    Stay Safe, Derf
  • @Derf
    Can't easily discover much from the s/n. My easiest check was within the system info.
    The build date for the system BIOS is June 6, 2020. Good enough info for me.

I don't know whether you were aware of the shortage of laptops just about anywhere starting around April, 2020. 'Course the work from home and school learning was beginning to take affect. I had to wait until September to find what I wanted. A real critical portion for me is the 512GB solid state drive.

• I think it's wise to read PC Magazine reviews which still exist online--https://pcmag.com/picks/the-best-laptops --as well as customer reviews to determine which is worthwhile.
  • @LewisBraham

Absolutely !!!

One needs to do the homework, regardless of existing knowledge or background***.

***My background with computers continues to help me make decisions for this evolving area; but things change so fast.