Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Tire purchase

A local tire shop offers a road hazard warranty (Certificate for Refund/Replacement) on new tires purchased applicable for 3 years. I bought high quality tires and I drive less mileage than usual, therefore i expect the tire life to be longer than 3 years. Can you purchase a longer warranty elsewhere at a different tire shop? 5 years? Life of tire?
I have had bad luck with nail/flat repair. Nowadays the nail must be in center of tire or they will not repair and you end up purchasing a new tire. Therefore I want warranty from now on. Options?

Also, how does the warranty from Michelin help me? The offer some form of guarantees direct.

Comments

• edited March 2021
    @shripwreckedandalone

Costco claims to have a free 5 year road hazard warranty. LINK

The 3 years your dealer offers sounds pretty good to me - if you trust him to honor it. We’re talking about damage from pot-holes, debris on the road, etc. (not normal wear).

I buy from Tire Rack and their road hazard only extends to 2 years. Know it works because I had a new one blow out a few years back and they were easy to work with. Did need to persuade a local repair shop it was safe for him to submit the small amount of required paperwork however.

It amazes me how well modern steel belted tires stand up to what can best be described as “third world” highway conditions. Used to hunt for detours around the worst roads, even if it cost extra time. Finally gave up because roads are now uniformly bad in all directions. Rims are better today too than way back in the 70-80 when it was easy to bend them.

Good luck

• It amazes me how well modern steel belted tires stand up to what can best be described as “third world” highway conditions. Used to hunt for detours around the worst roads, even if it cost extra time. Finally gave up because roads are now uniformly bad in all directions. Rims are better today too than way back in the 70-80 when it was easy to bend them.
    Quite right. And zero --- precisely--- is being done about it.