Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Longest Day

MJG
edited June 2021 in Fund Discussions
Hi Guys,

Unless I missed It, there was no acknowledgement of the historic Longest Day in US history in these discussions. Of course, I’m referring to June 6, 1944. Indeed it is not necessary to remind anyone that that is the day US forces stormed the European beaches that marked the beginning of the end for the German military forces in WWII.

It was definitely not a sure victory. The victory or defeat on that eventful day hung in the balance of uncertain responses to unpredictable events. I suppose that is much like investing decisions. We all act on incomplete or sometimes wrong information. Given these conditions, luck is a major factor in the outcome. I’m sure we don’t like to admit it, but many outcomes in our lives depend on unpredictable and uncertain luck. So, good luck to all of us, and please remember those brave men who stormed the beaches so many years ago. I remember and salute them all.

You guys might be interested in the music that celebrates that eventful day. Here is a link to one of many versions:

Enjoy!

Comments

• Thanks for the reminder MJG. The History Guy discussed DDay yesterday on YouTube:

• DA DA DA DUUUUUUUUM
  • Every Memorial Day I watch most of the movie “Bands of Brothers” to commemorate my grandfather who served in WWII. He seldom talked about his experience as many of his friends did not return.
  • The day was here before I knew it. I've watched "The Longest Day" so many times, I have it memorized. Great cast. Kurt Jurgens was in "The Enemy Below" with Robt. Mitchum.
  • Crash said:

The day was here before I knew it. I've watched "The Longest Day" so many times, I have it memorized. Great cast. Kurt Jurgens was in "The Enemy Below" with Robt. Mitchum.

Same here. I appreciated everything about it except how they just had to shoehorn John Wayne into it, which felt kind of out of place but they wanted a bigger name to cap off their already-amazing roster of big names. Great scene is when the Nazi milkman looks at the coast, sees nothing, looks down, pauses, looks back againm and BOOM, there's the invasion fleet! I *love* how that scene was planned.

And 'Enemy Below' was excellent as well -- in particular, the monologue Jurgens's character delivers over drinks in his cabin w/his XO really resonates. Such gravitas and historically speaking, he was right, too.
  • Yes, absolutely!
  • I don’t think I’ve ever seen it. I’ll give it a go.
  • Rbrt said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen it. I’ll give it a go.

The Duke
    Kurt Jurgens
    Peter Lawford
    Rod Steiger
    Eddie Albert
    Robt Mitchum
    Richard Burton
    Paul Anka
    Red Buttons
    Tom Tryon
    Sean Connery
    Henry Fonda
    Roddy McDowall
    ......................................And that's only what I can recall off the top of my head. It's really, really good.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056197/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

• Crash said:

Rbrt said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen it. I’ll give it a go.

The Duke
    Kurt Jurgens
    Peter Lawford
    Rod Steiger
    Eddie Albert
    Robt Mitchum
    Richard Burton
    Paul Anka
    Red Buttons
    Tom Tryon
    Sean Connery
    Henry Fonda
    Roddy McDowall
    ......................................And that's only what I can recall off the top of my head. It's really, really good.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056197/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

It's well worth watching. Long, but good.

Gert Fröbe played the German milkman I mentioned. For those who don't know, he also played 'Goldfinger' in the Bond movie of the same name (but was dubbed b/c his accent was too thick for audiences)

Speaking of Bond, I think Sean Connery purposely asked to play a cut-up part to contrast with his Bond persona. For example, he comes off the Higgins Boat and does a clumsy face-plant into the water, and is a snarky 'everyman' type of grunt in his other scenes, too.

• Connery: "Ya, it takes an Irishman to play the pipes!"
    Jump right into 3:09.