Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Voter registration card

edited June 2021 in Off-Topic
Where are we supposed to carry these things? (Keep it clean please).

Michigan must have passed some kind of law requiring these cards to vote. Mine arrived from our township clerk today. It’s postcard sized . Appears it needs to be inserted into some type of apparatus when voting, having directional arrows printed at one end (again - keep it clean please). And it has a bar code on it. Afraid folding might invalidate it. However, it would need to be folded at least twice to fit in a man’s wallet or cell phone case.

This is a most undistinguished looking piece of crap. Nearly pitched it along with the junk mail. There’s a tiny line on the back you’re supposed to sign before you show up. Rather disturbing. Many won’t vote.

If @rono still reads the board I’d appreciate his take on this. Looks to me like a way to deter voting by less well educated or well informed individuals. Even with a college degree I can’t figure out where to carry the dang thing so I don’t forget to take it to the polling place.

Comments

• Hi Hank,

Hope this finds you well and safe.

Yeppers, most of the republican legislatures are doing everything possible to restrict the vote. I have NOT seen this new card nor heard of it. I'd be skeptical right now. I say that because I'm a township trustee and on the election committee. Hell, I had to do certifications of our machines three times this past year.

That said, nothing surprises me anymore.

The good thing about all these restrictions is that they are happening now which leaves plenty of time to challenge and/or prepare for 2020.

And for my money, I'd require vaccination passport to vote. No shot - no vote.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • I'd require vaccination passport to vote. No shot - no vote.
    Voting card is not required on the west coast states. Talking about voting suppression. Florida’s governor is requiring college students and teacher to register their political views.

• @Sven et al
    Reads like a good old fashioned communist or fascist state manifesto, eh?
    Different to a point, but with the same required results of control.

Nothing like the feeling of power, when one is a zealot.

Florida and their boss
  • DeSantis called universities “intellectually repressive environments. Wow, he must a Trump University alumni.
  • edited June 2021
    Thanks @rono. Appears to be something a local clerk prepared and mailed out. For what purpose I don’t know. Since there’s no photo on it, doubt it would suffice as proof of identity. It does, however, have an image of the state seal in the upper left corner.

Two possibilities: (1) It’s intended to encourage voting. (2) It’s intended to discourage voting by the 10-30% who will either misplace it or somehow be intimidated / confused by it.

Several states appear to use the same template. Here’s one from NY that’s similar to what I received. However please, where the NY card says “detach” the Michigan card says “fold”.

• The MI SOS office website says as long as you are in the correct polling location, your name will appear on the registration list. The Voter Identification card is for your reference, and not required to vote. michigan.gov/sos since I still don't know how to link via html !
  • In every states I have live in, you get a reminder by mail to the correct polling place. During voting at polling place a driver license is presented for verification. When we switched to mail in ballot, that make voting even more straight forward and the ballot has a bar code.

COVID-vaccine card is very simple for recording purpose and they are easily forged as shown by the arrest case of a EBAY seller who happens to work at a pharmacy.
  • DeSantis = dangerous clown. Is he going to require star of David be worn by Jews, next? This is just plain awful shit.

I recognize the wavy blue lines in the card on the right, above. Hawaii uses that template. But we are all-mail, now. (Or drop-box.) An item is sent prior to the election which gives registered voters the chance to re-sign a Master, in order to compare the signature on the ballot for authentication. But that's voluntary. I guess the one they have on file for me is from my DL? we were given the option to register to vote when I acquired my Hawaii DL.

(MA auto-renewed me for an extra year, in the midst of the pandemic. But I had to relinquish my MA DL in order to be given my HI DL. I wonder if MA has caught up with reality, yet? The DMV apparatus there is Operation FUBAR.)
  • edited June 2021
    carew388 said:

The MI SOS office website says as long as you are in the correct polling location, your name will appear on the registration list. The Voter Identification card is for your reference, and not required to vote. michigan.gov/sos since I still don't know how to link via html !

Yep - Here I’m well prepared: Enhanced Drivers License w photo / Passport w photo / absentee ballot application in hand (though would rather vote in person to view what kinda B.S. hangs out near polling places post-covid. Been registered and voted consecutively for at least 40 years.

Where I’m most concerned is why the new “Voter ID Card” was mass mailed? And, no letter of explanation? Serves little purpose other than listing polling locations that haven’t changed. W/o a photo it’s not a league voter ID as I understand it today anyway. So, what purpose?

Heavily Republican area in Michigan’s northern reaches. Lots of wing nuts running around with guns up here. Is the card maybe meant more to confuse than to enlighten the general voting population (and thereby reduce voter turnout)? That’s what I’m wondering. If you didn’t hear, they already tried to abduct our governor and threatened our state capitol long before they worked up the courage to assault the one in Washington.
  • I seem to be missing something. The card above references Greene County, Missouri which is a big GOP area, so if you live in Michigan, it can only be meant to deceive you. If you're comfortable, take it to the local Democratic party HQ in your county. I live in Seminole County, FL and have attended meetings and made a number of small donations to the Dems here.
  • edited June 2021
    +1 Agree.

Sorry about the pict. I thought it was NY. Anyhow can’t find Michigan’s.

No. Not worried. Just concerned about if this is designed to deter suppress voting (by confusing some who get it and than misplace it).

Voting is good. Hope everyone does. If you suppress it enough though we’ll have DT back in town in 4 years.
  • Well no @hank. Since he's going to be reinstated in August he will have served 2 terms and won't be eligible to run again. Of course I never expected to see nut job supporters of him beating law officers with flag poles wrapped in the American flag so who knows.