Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Flows!

12346»

Comments

• Just posted all ratings to MFO Premium site through February using Refinitiv's data drop today ... reflecting MTD performance through 15 March.
  • edited March 21
    The update includes the integration of the latest generation of Datatables, the main engine of our search tools. You will find subtle style changes in all the tools. And, hopefully, smoother operation throughout.

Also, our web host moved us to a new server this week.

All in the way of making things better and faster.

If you see anything amiss, please let me know.

c
  • Just posted all ratings to MFO Premium site through February using Refinitiv's data drop today ... reflecting MTD performance through 22 March.
  • Just posted all ratings to MFO Premium site through March using Refinitiv's data drop of 29 March. The Friday holiday helped provide early look into 1st quarter performance.

S&P500 up nearly 11%.

Berkshire Hathaway up nearly 17%.

Momentum, energy, Nikkei, quality, growth, Europe, large-cap, mid-cap, commodities all double-digit gains so far this year.

Core bonds off a percent or so.

Long bonds -4.4%.

ADX Adams Diversified Equity CEF up 10.7%.

DODGX Dodge & Cox Stock up 8.1%.

VIG Vanguard Dividend Appreciation ETF 7.7%.

JEPI JPMorgan Equity Premium ETF 6.4%.

DFSVX DFA US Small Cap Value 4.6%.

PFF BlackRock iShares Preferred Income ETF 4.8%.

BIL State Street T-Bill ETF 1.3%.

PIMIX Allianz PIMCO Income 0.8%.

PRHYX T Rowe Price High Yield 0.2%.

A bit surprising that high yield is lagging.
  • Thank you Charles.
  • edited April 7
    Just posted all ratings to MFO Premium site through March using Refinitiv's data drop yesterday ... reflecting MTD performance through 5 April.
  • Just posted all ratings to MFO Premium site through March using Refinitiv's data drop yesterday ... reflecting MTD performance through 19 April.
  • We now have three fund flow tools on MFO Premium: Flow, Flows and TNAS (total net assets). Flow is a combo chart showing total return, total net flow, total net assets, and daily or monthly flows (depending on fund reporting) of a single fund. The other two chart up to 12 funds for comparison. All wrapped in a new Analytics user interface.

Example: Flow Combo Chart [SPY]

• FLOW tool is very interesting in that it shows how AUM, fund flows & TR are related (or not).

Asset and flows data are monthly for mutual funds/OEFs, daily for ETFs.

But in checking some TIAA/CREF VAs (QREARX, QCSTIX, etc), daily data are shown. I thought that those are available only monthly (like mutual funds). So, are those daily data projections/estimates by Lipper?
  • edited April 25
    Hi again ybb! Pretty excited about the new tools. Fund houses report flows differently, unfortunately. Some daily, like State Street; others monthly, like Dodge & Cox.

The tool uses whichever is available in database. There are indeed some mutual funds that report daily, like IOFIX.

My favorite is the FLOW combo tool you mentioned. I will keep that at the highest frequency flow data ... daily.

The FLOWS and TNAS comparative tools also now use highest frequency, but I plan to only use monthly flow data in future ... just too much data for 12 long-time funds reporting daily ... and, not needed for comparative work. (Unless someone convinces me otherwise.)

Also plan to include flow data in MultiSearch table so it can be searchable!
  • I don't know if these Flow-tools can indicate data frequency from the data source. The line-plots are shown as continuous, sometimes with lines connecting the discrete points - an acceptable practice - so it can be confusing.

Also be sure to update MFO Definitions for FLOW, FLOWS, TNAS.