Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Cell phone

I am seeking recommendations for a flip cell phone to replace my 12 year old Samsung.
My Verizon store tells me my phone will not be compatible at the end of 2022 when 5G is the rage.
We do not shoot photos or do texting so a simple but easy to use and reliable phone is what I am looking for.
Our cell phone is used as a back up for our poor landline service and when we go traveling.
Not sure when we will ever travel again.
Rossby

Comments

• Cricket screwed me after the phone got wet. I moved to T-Mobile. And yes, it's a flip-phone. Made by Alcatel. Really good service, though communicating with my friend north of the border in a not-very-big-town is work. He can hear me fine. His voice is often garbled while I'm doing the listening. But he's surrounded by the Rockies and associated mountain ranges up there. I'm in 808-Hawaii. My wife's "smart" phone is $50/month. Unlimited. I'm over 55, so I get a $20/month deal. So, EXACTLY $70/total, monthly.
  • @Crash,

T-Mobile just got hacked and social security number of their customers are stolen. May want to freeze your credit scores with the three credit agencies.
    https://washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/08/19/t-mobile-data-breach-what-to-do/
  • OMG. SHIT. I don't believe we've ever shared SS numbers with them? Maybe the wife did, I dunno. I'll mention it in the morning, and go to the T-Mobile office ASAP, too, in order to double-check. That really bites. THANKS for the alert.
  • edited August 2021
    "Updated" news as of 20 August, '21. There are a few abbreviations in there that I have no clue about.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/network/additional-information-regarding-2021-cyberattack-investigation

• Found the news from Apple News yesterday. The article mentioned several ways to prevent identity theft. An associate of mine found out someone has filed for his tax return using his stolen social security number and birthday. This took several months to clear and he still has no idea where the attack came from.

Be on lookout with more details for their customers.
    Immediately offering 2 years of free identity protection services with McAfee’s ID Theft Protection Service.
    Recommending all T-Mobile postpaid customers proactively change their PIN by going online into their T-Mobile account or calling our Customer Care team by dialing 611 on your phone. This precaution is despite the fact that we have no knowledge that any postpaid account PINs were compromised.
    Offering an extra step to protect your mobile account with our Account Takeover Protection capabilities for postpaid customers, which makes it harder for customer accounts to be fraudulently ported out and stolen.
    Publishing a unique web page later on Wednesday for one stop information and solutions to help customers take steps to further protect themselves.
    Edited to add on 8/18: https://www.t-mobile.com/brand/data-breach-2021